Looking for VGA gender changer

Male/male or female/female not as important as whether or not it *also* turns the cable upside down.

Which every one I've found so far does. Yes, I know that makes it more complicated to manufacture, but I have a specific requirement which can only be satisfied by one which doesn't.

Better would be a male-to-female which *does* turn the cable through 180 degrees, but that seems even rarer.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I'm trying to imagine you can't put half twist in the VGA lead to do the turning upside-down?

Reply to
Andy Burns

If it was that simple, I wouldn't be here! (Nor would I have spent quite so long scouring the Interwebs for a suitable part).

Reply to
Roland Perry

Can you make up a custom cable?

Reply to
John Rumm

Still doesn't stop me wondering, anyway the answer is probably buy a soldering iron ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, at

18:13:14 >> Male/male or female/female not as important as whether or not it

No, it would have to be a custom gender changer, and that's just too fiddly if an off the shelf one exists. Actually it's too fiddly even if one doesn't exist.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I have a soldering iron.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Size constraints?

(I was thinking a couple of bits of double sided PCB sandwiched edge on between the rows of pins on the back of the connector, and with "via" wiring between boards to achieve the connectivity)

Reply to
John Rumm

What about two male to female gender changers plugged into each other. If one changer turns the connector upside down the second will reverse this. Or am I missing what you mean male/male or female/female

Reply to
alan_m

Problem I can see is you can't plug a m/m gender changer into another, without needing a third f/f one to mate them...

Reply to
John Rumm

Could you do it with a 90 followed by a 270?

If I do that in my head I think that comes out without a twist, BICBW.

It's hard to suggest things without knowing your space constraints, as to whether various adapters would fit.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, at

20:03:52 >> In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, at

In theory one could construct something with two PCB-mounting VGA sockets sandwiching a specially-made PCB, but I don't have the facilities to make such a PCB [it's going to need 30 plated-through holes and the minimum six connecting tracks, all within two sqcm] nor is it clear how you'd actually solder the second socket on [perhaps a hot air gun].

Reply to
Roland Perry

Unfortunately both standard gender-chargers will introduce the 180degree rotation, so one is back where we started.

But if I could get just one or the other *not* to have the 180degree rotation, that would fulfil my requirement.

Equipment| |Equipment A| Pins|Pins Socket|Socket |B Socket| |Pins

The slight extra separation between A & B isn't an issue, as long as it's only about a centimetre.

The reason they are called gender changers is because:

Equipment| |Equipment A| Pins|Pins Socket|Socket |B Socket| |Pins <now now>

<female <looks looks> male> <male female>

The all-in-one solution (but I've never seen an adapter like that, with or without a rotation) would be:

Equipment| |Equipment A| Pins|Socket |B Socket| |Pins

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message <Pfv* snipped-for-privacy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 23:54:13 on Thu,

22 Jul 2021, Theo <theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:

Yes, but it's the twist that I need!

Those 90degree adapters would work, however, if only one or the other had connector edges clockwise of:

long short long short instead of long short short long [or] short long long short

Reply to
Roland Perry

It's practically 'free' to get PCBs made in China these days ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Get one for me then. I'll pay you £1 commission. (Total capped at perhaps a fiver).

And then let me know how to solder the second socket on, when the legs will be completely obscured by the PCB and first socket.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Order one directly:

You are thinking in the wrong plane... the board edge would rest between a row of pins, so solder access would be to the side and not obscured by the sockets. You would need double sided boards, with pads matching the solder points on the top and bottom edges, vertical traces on the solder side, and then horizontal tracks on the reverse, with through plated vias to connect the sides. Basically allowing for the pin order reversal. You would use three identical boards, and assemble it in layers, starting at the back solder that, slide in the next, solder that, slide in the last etc.

(If working with very small boards, then use solder paste and hot air to solder each board)

Kind of like:

John Rumm

Erm, so after all that you don't actually want a gender changer at all - just a very short rigid lead with straight through connections?

If so, a standard socket and plug soldered with short solid core bridge wires would so the trick easily. The back to back pin positions would be exactly aligned.

(the reason gender changers include the rotation is to remove the lateral translation of pin numbers. That at least puts pin one back on the same side of the connector as pin one on the other connector)

Reply to
John Rumm

Make one. They are only 9 pin Cannon D type connectors.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Ahem, that was MDA/CGA monitors :-P

Reply to