OT - guess the year

While clearing out the loft at the weekend, I came across an old copy of the Daily Mail. The front page headline story was about wages/earnings. Here's an extract:

"The report shows that 4,370,000 people had less than £250 a year. Most were old age and retirement pensioners. The average consumer spent 5s 6d of each £1 on food; drink 1s 3d; tobacco 1s 4d; housing 1s 11d; fuel 11d; cars, washing machines and other durable goods 1s 4d; clothes 1s 10d; travel 8d; car running costs 7d; entertainment 4d; sundries 4s 2d.

Farm workers received their best wage since ... to £9 10s for a 45-hour week."

And just for good measure, even then the DM had a story about Corrie on the front page.

Reply to
root

1965.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

well cars and washing machines says at least the 50's...

I am guessing around 1957 or so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Corrie was first broadcast in 1960.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

1966 ?

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap
10 quid a week was considered a not bad wage for a working man round about '60. Farm labourers were always well down the pecking order, so my guess is '62.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

1964

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Somewhere between 9 Dec 1960 (Corrie Ep 1) and 15 Feb 1971 (Decimalsation). B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What's 'Corrie'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm guessing Coronation Street.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Phil L

In 1968 I used to get £6 15s 0d for a 40 hour week working in a supermarket but that was the rate for 15 year olds.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

At a guess...

20th Sept 1963 around 7:35am :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Your Google Broken?

Baz

Reply to
Baz

1964?
Reply to
S Viemeister

1966?

I believe that was the year my parents got married and it was my Dad's ambition to earn £1000 a year as it would make him well off:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The farm worker wages sound like 1963/1964. If they were the trigger for the article, it would be October 1963, when the Agricultural Wages Order for that period came into force.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Agricultural Wages (Regulation) Acts 1924 and 1940

Oct 1963 - Sep 1964 £9/9s/1p for 45Hours

-
Reply to
Mark

That sounds close enough. It was 12 September 1963. The headline was about fat cats and their pay (nothing much changes :) in this case, the number of people who earned over £20,000 a year Which had risen from 4,000 the year before to 5,000 at that time. Though in their cases after tax they'd take home about £7,000 p.a. Today, they are whining about tube drivers' pay going up to £50,000.

There was also a 5-liner on the front page about a plane crach in ndia that had killed 18 people and a rather odd story about a

19 year-old "Mr Rogers" who mailed 144 ballpoint pens to 1,000 bookies. He mailed them C.O.D. and the bookies paid up £3 19/6 each even though they didn't know what was inside. He then put £3,000 of that on a horse in the St. Ledger - which won. The scheme cost hime £1,500 but hee was reported as making £2,700 profit- though the bookies were asking for their money back!

Oh yes, and police revealed that they knew who was the mastermind behind the Great Train Robbery.

What an eventful day it was, compared with todays headline: POLICE AND THE RIOT BLUNDERS

Reply to
root

=A39 9s 1d

d not p. youth of today.... B-)