OT - guess the year

The Street.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My first week paid £4-8s-0d. and petrol was 4s-6d per gallon! Mind you, I remember farthings going out of circulation:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's a financial journal innit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So even then the Daily Mail couldn't get its facts right.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Ha, well in my defense it is 40 years since i last played with LSD :(

-
Reply to
Mark

I remember the yoghurt at uni going from 11d to 11p until someone pointed it out.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

I remember them in circulation. I've got a collection of 120 of the little beasts! I can remember my father paying 2/9d a gallon for petrol - I paid 4/11d when I first had a car.

Reply to
charles

When I joined the RAF as an Aircraft Apprentice we were paid 12s 6d a week, 4s 6d going into compulsory savings. On the rest we had to buy Brasso, boot polish (our 2 biggest expenses) toothpaste soap and the odd bun and cup of tea.

Reply to
Moonraker

When I joined the RAF as an Aircraft Apprentice we were paid 12s 6d a week, 4s 6d going into compulsory savings. On the rest we had to buy Brasso, boot polish (our 2 biggest expenses) toothpaste soap and the odd bun and cup of tea.

Reply to
Moonraker

Sorry about the double post, a hiccup in my news server.

Reply to
Moonraker

Much the same for me: £6 a week plus commission (1 old penny in the pound) selling shoes at Hounslow Coop as a 15-year old, summer holiday 1968. And that was better than most retail jobs because the Coop was unionised. Lovely boss, the inappropriate named Mr Sainsbury. When I returned from spending my entire lunch hour going to look at some new buses at Hounslow garage, he insisted I went up to the staff canteen and had a proper lunch before resuming work. In contrast, at Dixons, where I worked the follow summer, on Thursdays, delivery day, you weren't allowed to take your lunch break until the lorry had been and gone. One day lunch was at

4.00p.m.!
Reply to
Tony Bryer

That implies that Mail journalists have some conception of 'facts'

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

Vaguely remember petrol at 1s 3d a gallon can't remember the year tho;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Me too..that would be the fifties sometime.

or 1'/3d as I think we used to write it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I cheated a little by googling a line (not the cocaine type)

The headline was about fat cats and their pay (nothing much

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm glad they don't make toothpaste soap any more.

(JOOI did they check that you wre buying genuine products, or was there a whole market in homebrew mixtures that did the same job?)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

1931 (or earlier)?

Roger Chapman

ave

And I actually met the man who sculpted the wren on the farthings.

Reply to
polygonum

'm shocked :)

Reply to
root

Yes, I paid 4/11 in 1958 and Redex was a penny a shot.

Reply to
Bob Martin