OT Gridwatch - demand slowly ramping up

It can backfire, though.

I remember driving around the Hague, following the tram lines in broad daylight.

I very nearly failed to spot that the road turned left while the tram lines carried straight onto reserved track!

Fortunately I spotted my error in time to just avoid driving straight off the road!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Even in the 60s I remember the COI film on TV exhorting us to "wear something light at night".

Featured an attractive blonde wearing a raincoat, IIRC.

Reply to
Terry Casey

How meaningful is it to look at Frequency as an indicator that the system is being pushed hard?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Noted the comments about not relying too heavily on the figures.

However the wind output has dropped down to very little (0.98GW) and coal has ramped up to 7.0 GW at the moment.

We certainly aren't in Guardian celebration territory of wind and solar outperforming coal at the moment.

As a slight rephrase of the question, I wonder how close we are to firing up the emergency backup stuff and/or load shedding.

It looks as though we are using the French and Dutch feeds almost flat out at the moment, and only the OCGT to go.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Common with many motorcycles too. Set the headlamp to create maximum dazzle. On the assumption they are more likely to be seen. Therefore putting the onus on others to avoid them, rather than by driving in a safe way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a mains locked digital LED clock in the bedroom. Usually see it click over to 1 am while hearing the pips on R4. It seems be more 'slow' on a day where you'd expect heavy power consumption.

Not sure what time 'they' use as a starting point to average out the 50Hz over 24 hours, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The car park at my local Southern rail station seems to have new LED lighting. There is a footpath running along one side and as I walked along it at about 8PM a few days ago, I'm sure that they either suddenly brightened up or some came on as I passed each column.

Reply to
Andrew

I have a Rohan cycling jacket that looks grey in daylight but shines white at night because the entire fabric is coated with scotchlite.

Unfortunately, it makes you sweat because the coating overpowers the Rohan fabric design.

Reply to
Andrew

I can understand that. Rohan stuff usually works well, and I wear it most days.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And potentially illegal:

"114 You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders"

And illegal. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. And this one winds me up ...

"In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again."

Especial when in a std car behind a 4X4 or big SUV etc.

Reply to
T i m

All recent cars have bright front only Daylight Running Lights (DLRs). Many also have auto lights, which if they are anything like the auto mode on my car are a bit eager to come on. The biggest annoyance is them silently switching off in bright daylight fog...

I have, bloody awful. 50% of the time the mount is crap and the lamp bounces about giving blinding flashes of light, 50% of the time the mount is OK but there is no "dip" and the lamp is set such that oncoming drivers are dazzled.

And why do people park up and leave the headlights on? Had a "moment" the other night, straight road then a with gentle right bend, dark night no streetlights. Come round corner onto straight section headlights in distance, go to dip, carry on, on coming headlights start to dazzle, carry on, oncoming lights really starting to dazzle, aiming into the darknes to pass with the lights to my right, serious dazzle, go to main beam just in time to see the white line starting the gentle right bend and the "oncoming" headlights on a car parked off the road, on my side, on main beam. Needed a rather hasty change of direction to pass with them to my left.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Your missing the fact that cyclists think the Highway Code only applies to motorists not all road users, including cyclists.

Yes, but I put it down to change in how people are taught to drive these days. I was taught to use the gears in combination with the brakes to slow down and use the handbrake. These days it appears to be brakes only and hold the vehicle with the foot brake.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think that debate could run and run. My instructor (40 years ago) used to insist its wasn't a "handbrake" its a "parking" brake. If you are not parked you don't use it (except if absolutely necessary for hill starts).

The other camp argued that if stationary and you got rear ended the foot would inevitably come off the brake and there was no knowing where you might end up. With the parking brake applied you wouldn't go far.

I think both arguments have some value, so I'm not saying which camp I belong to.

I don't think dazzle from brake lights was a thing when I learned to drive. :-)

Reply to
Chris B

If I keep my foot hard on the brake pedal, the engine stops and automatically restarts when I lift it off. This is to minimise polution and use less fuel.

Reply to
charles

Because they are either stupid or inconsiderate?

Yup, lovely. Been there been dazzled by that.

And even if they are dipped beam, they can still be ridiculously bright because they are dipped *into* your eyes. ;-(

I've given many of them full beam, simply to be able to see past them myself.

If I ever pull up on the wrong side of the road at night (and I hardly ever do [1]), the first thing I do is drop to sidelights.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I also feel it's wrong to actually park the wrong way round so rarely do that either, even during the day! ;-)
Reply to
T i m

quite meaningful,. It indicates a short term lack of as much supply as one would like.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, there still a couple of GW available and its not that cold - when it is France reverses and imports

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

True, sometimes more dazzling than un-dipped headlights

Wonderfull clear night tonight, stars I haven't seen for years.

Reply to
DJC

Just wonder what the opinions are in here on the latest gimmick which is for a single fog (or low mounted) lamp to come on with the corresponding indicator. Are they any use?

Reply to
bert

On the subject of learning to drive, and to go off at a tangent a bit, if learners must be able to follow sat nav instructions is there a need for a new international road sign DO NOT FOLLOW SAT NAV INSTRUCTIONS One to be placed on each cliff top.

Reply to
bert