Now there are only five left - RIP John Young

Was this not from last week sometime? He was also the first pilot of the Shuttle. He was also very much involved in most of the investigations of the accidents like the Apollo 13 enquiry when it was found that somebody had changed test procedures at the cape welding shut a safety pressure switch, the O ring issues with the solid boosters and more recent problems with the moulded carbon carbon boot failure on Columbia that killed the astronauts on re entry. He apparently showed up issues with the heat shield materials in the very first flight to do with damage caused by vibrations and debris at launch time, but only the foam was altered not any other mitigating work done.

I do hope the agency has somebody else able to cut through the red tape jungle these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The Wright brothers are both dead too.

Reply to
harry

And Keith Harris ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

My grandfather was around when the Wright brothers flew. He lived long enough to see men walking on the moon, and was able to drink champagne while travelling faster than a speeding bullet.

If I ever have grandchildren they will have seen none of that. It'll just be stories like Santa and the tooth fairy.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You need to educate them to recognise fact from fiction. More important than ever these days.

Does Theresa May believe in the Tooth Fairy?

Reply to
harry

It's very likely that by the time someone next walks on the moon, there will be none left.

Reply to
Halmyre

I will do my best. But I find it sad that our society has decayed in such a manner that it is necessary. We've given up on progress in the search for a more comfortable life.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris