Dimmers slowly failing

The new dimmers are slowly failing.

Don't know the brand without a lot of digging buy I thought I'd post the general symptoms.

Failure is to go off (sometimes after flickering) just below full blast.

Still works at dimmer settings, and can be encouraged to work by starting low then ramping up.

The switches are all the same.

Failing most obviously on two single 70W halogen 'eco' bulbs.

Starting to go on a pair of 70W halogen 'eco' bulbs.

Still working fine with 3 * 70W halogen 'eco' bulbs.

Also failing with a set of 3 11W dimmable LEDs.

So the common factor seems to be low load.

Are there special dimmers which work for low loads?

Cheers

Dave r

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Sound to me like a duff batch. Where did you get them from?

Reply to
Fredxx

Most likely the pot. Return them if not old.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Got one of these a couple of weeks ago for LEDs, running it in combo with LEDs and incandescents. Lovely soft start on it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

City Electrical Factors.

The interesting thing is that they failed after a while but the one with the biggest load is fine.

I have some spares.

They sold me three multi-switch dimmer switches (4, 3 and 3) plus a set of

5 dummies so that I could have two way switching with one switch as a dimmer and the other as on/off but looking like a dimmer.

Worked out a lot cheaper than buying a kit to make up a switch.

So I should have a complete set of replacements - but I suspect that these will go as well in time.

I will talk to them about replacement.

I was just wondering if this was a common failing of dimmers (failing on a lightly loaded circuit).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Just dug the batch of spare dimmers out. They are Click model M1020 rated 40-250W made by Scolmore UK

So possibly marginal for the 3 LEDs but should be fine for the rest. Just realised I am not running a dimmer for the inside pair of 70W lights at the moment as I haven't finished swapping the dummy and the dimmer between doors - was by the back door but need to go by the hall door.

So the outside light pair are failing but the inside pair have yet to be given a proper trial.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts