Downlighters and GU10 bulbs

We've got 6 downlighters in our kitchen, wired up to 2 dimmer switches (3 per switch).

The cheap GU10's blow at regular intervals, so I was thinking about changing them over to more expensive LED's. Can anyone please advise on the following:

- one of the dimmer switches isn't working. Is this related to a blown lamp? Presumably, replacement is the only solution?

- are all LED's the same, by that, I mean, dimmable?

- does anyone know of a good supplier on price?

Thanks

Reply to
PeterL

A bad bulb might stop dimmers if it is shorted rather than the usual open. Best way to check is to remove the defective bulb and verify the other two now work.

Like CFL bulbs, not all LED type are dimmable. You need to check the specifications on the box or look up the product specs on the internet.

One other thing, 3 dimmable LED's on one dimmer switch might not all turn on or totally off at the same setting making you think a bulb is defective when it actually is not. It is best to not mix bulbs from different manufacturers or models on a single dimmer to try and eliminate this kind of problem. Physically different dimmable bulbs are compatible on the same dimmer switch but they might have different thresholds for turning on/off.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Yes, probably, and yes.

No. And they are not all the same colour temp either. The best LED GU10s I've found are the Philips MyVision 4W ones which are almost identical to halogen when switched on, however they are not dimmable. The nearest equivalent dimmable ones are Philips MyAmbience which I have not tried.

Cheap GU10 LEDs have awful light quality.

Amazon are as good as anyone really, in my experience

Non-dimmable:-

in mind it will depend on the capability of your dimmer how dim they will go. Some dimmers don't work that well with low-current lamps and don't dim much. Others will allow you to dim right down to almost off.

Reply to
2BSur2Bsur

Mains LEDs have an internal PS so aren't normally dimmable. Those which are will be a cludge of some sort.

The dimmer probably failed when a bulb blew.

If you want decent small unit lighting which can dim properly and have a reasonable life, change to low voltage halogens.

I do have some GU10s, and found the bulbs you get in B&Q etc have a very short life. The replacements I bought from TLC are fine. One of them just went this week - about 5 years life in the bathroom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to all who replied

Reply to