Dimmer switch on hallogen bulbs

Hi,

I am installing the following lights from toolstation:

"GU10 mains fixed downlight. Ultra-slim bevelled edge design with stirrup bracket. 50w max excludes GU10 lamp."

...and need to know if you can wire dimmer switches to this type of bulb, has anyone ever had issues with using dimmers with halogen bulbs?

thanks

tom

Reply to
Thomarse

You can dim main halogens, but they will still consume relatively high amounts of power when emitting lower levels of light.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've been using 6 of those cheap mains 50W downlighters from Homebase on a dimmer for about a year. no problems at all. (from memory the box said "suitable for dimmer switches")

Reply to
Vass

You can. But youre choosing to spend a whole load of unnecessary money on electricity bills with those lights, as well as other issues. I would choose differently.

?title=Dimmers_%26_SwitchbanksNT

Reply to
meow2222

?title=Dimmers_%26_Switchbanks>> NT

Thanks for the advice guys,

The energy issue isnt really a problem and Im only installing 2 halogen bulbs and they are going to be within a chimney breast as downlighters, in a bedroom, so only for occasional effect really, so wont be getting heavy useage! - maybe I should get a key switch to stop the wife turning them on uneccesarily!

Reply to
Thomarse