Pumping condensate from air conditioning evaporator

I am installing a split easy-fit air conditioning system in my house, and I have a need for the pipework between the indoor and outdoor unit to go above the height of the indoor evaporator (basically, up into the loft, and then across to the external wall).

I believe that I need to install a small condensate pump to assist the flow of drained condensate. (it only needs to pump about 12 inches above the height of the evaporator).

My question is... does the condensate pump have to be installed at a similar height to the bottom of the evaporator unit? i.e. at the same level as the contents of the drainage reservoir in the evaporator? Or can it be installed at a higher level, and somehow maintain a head of water to syphon the condensate from the evaporator?

Also, I noticed that most of the mini condensate pumps seem to come as two parts, one of which can be fitted within the evaporator's drainage tray, and one that can be put into trunking in line with the drainage tube. Is this an either/or option? I don't particularly want to take the evaporator apart and install things in it, so I'd like to just have something in the trunking.

Thanks for any suggestions / advice!

James

Reply to
James

I remember these getting blocked with fluff and other crud years ago when we had a/c units installed centrally in an open area, and well away from the external walls. We ended up installing moisture detectors to warn against the overflowing condensate seeping into the carpet.

I wish you luck.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Hope that helps, Cheers