Gridwatch - OCGT ramping up

Is this one of those scenarios with a freezing night and not much wind that we have talked about from time to time?

Still quite a bit of headroom on hte coal, but I am assuming somebody got their sums wrong of coal is only at 5 GW and OCGT is running.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Yes.

The coal plants only have so many running hours left.

But it looks like the continent is warmer - we are iporting lots and there is some wind now

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

apropos of not much, I am amazed that since I started monitoring, there have been 47,000 plus different IP addresses hit the site with an average of around 300 people (unique IP addresses) accessing the server on any given 5 minute period.

490 people/companies have donated, and some quite a lot.

Thank you. It has helped.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No.

There was 4GW of grid connected wind generation around 6pm, up from a minimum of

1.9GW around noon

The minimum margin today was 3600MW at 6pm

Max demand today was some 900MW below the max this winter (11th Dec 2017)

Utilisation of Short Term Operating Reserve was just 184MWh today around 9am

OCGT plant running is not out of the ordinary. Some former CCGT baseload plant is now used in Open cycle mode.

Reply to
The Other Mike