Ey up! They're burning coal tonight!

I assume someone has a favourable deal because it must cost more than gas generation.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

No, its cheaper.

But they are limited to only a few thousand hours a year.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Coal could be burned more efficiently and the sulphur and other gasses could be collected, but it seems still nobody bothers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Ratcliffe power station did spend the money on sulphur and NOx scrubbers, but the govt decided that all coal must die in the UK, meanwhile Germany opened a new coal power station 6 months ago.

Reply to
Andy Burns

TBH Germany still had vile filthy cheap lignite to burn whilst we have nothing but expensive coal. Its no big deal to phase out coal, but unfortunately, ex of fracking, UK gas is on the wane, so we need nuclear badly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wasn't that burning Lignite a worse polluter than coal?.

Reply to
tony sayer

Of course. Germans are fundamentally stupid.They see windmills and solar panels and congratulate themselves on 'being green' and 'nuclear free'. The fact is they have more nuclear power than the UK, far more coal and are by country,by individual and by Megawatt hour the greatest emitters of CO2 in Europe.

Their politicians must know this.

But they don't care. They cannot really be serious about CXO2 after all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but don't let a fact or two get in the way of being "green".

Did have surely? Didn't I read the other day that their last operational nuke closes next year? Hence the building of new coal station and using their existing coal stations even more.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

three to close by end next year, last three to close by end of the year after.

Andy Burns

They must have closed a couple when I wasn't looking. Well a merry climate change and a happy Brexit to them, after all. Smug bastards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do they have many tsunamis in Germany?

Reply to
Max Demian

No, but they are lousy with Greens. And proportional representation gives them disproportionate power, exactly as the limp Dims had in coalition here.

One of the reasons I voted to keep FPTP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

None since the Storegga Slide, I'm guessing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

did it suddenly turn cold at 4pm today, odd looking peak that gas had to pick-up?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No: The sun went down

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just looks like a weird point of inflection, that's all.

Reply to
Andy Burns

the data sources are not guaranteed perfect, but at this time of year the fall off in solar and the need to switch on lights and heat can cause very rapid non renewable demand slew rates.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wandering past again and the OCGT is clocking up some time.

Puzzling as there seems to be plenty of headroom on CCGT.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

CCGT sets take along time to come up to full efficiency compared with OCGT , and it seems that the grid is paying for what used to be called 'spinning reserve' which is just some rotating mass on the grid powered by the grid or generating very little.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interesting.

I note that CCGT is doing virtually bugger all tonight but that coal is showing a small amount.

Probably just turning it over and running it for a bit to circulate the oil and charge the starter battery.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David