OT: Good place to ask about XP memory problems

's wrong with that? Sounds like the chap had a reasonable understanding of his new system :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Andy Champ writes

Yes. It was intended to make it possible to drop a 386sx into 286 boards with little or no modification.

There were lots of aftermarket 'go-faster' 386sx upgrades for 286 machines.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Bob Eager writes

he said 'line', so that includes the DX, DX2 and (the misnamed) DX4.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well, he *was* a PC support engineer. It's why I picked the Mac over PCs back in the early 90s and have seen no reason since to change my mind (although things are much better that they were then).

The experience he describes is similar to one that happened in the office next to mine when I was working in the US. Bloke wanted to plug in a sound card, ended up having to get the building's PC expert to send/receive faxes to/from the vendor of the disk controller too. Took all morning - I just walked past from time to time smiling quietly to myself.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I still have the "yellow card" S/370 Reference Summary somewhere. I was a software engineer at IBM from '75 to '84 and spent every working hour poring over customer's core dumps. I could disassemble raw hexadecimal in my head, even though we had all the source code on microfiche.

Originally the products I supported (MVS, CICS, NCP/VTAM) were written in pure assembler (ok, Assembler) and were a thing of beauty, but then they moved to PL/S and it became rather less intuitive.

Reply to
Reentrant

Indeed, many are... its an easy way to port it to a new target platform as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

I rather liked ARM assembler - ever met that?

Reply to
Clive George

I can believe it happened, personally it took about ten minutes to put my WfW on the network.

Reply to
dennis

Not yet, but I'm just getting into Android programming.

Reply to
Bob Martin

I was a hardware CE from 63 to 66 (1401 and 7094) then software CE from 66 to 70. Green card was for 360 (I still have 3) and yellow card was for 370 (haven't got one of those). Like you, I can still read the hex core dumps - bit like riding a bike. I now run VM/370 on my PC using Hercules -

MVT and MVS are available if you fancy a trip down memory lane :-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Isn't that just like java? I must download the kit and have a look.

Reply to
dennis

The easy way to write apps is Java, yes, but like any other processor it can also be programmed in assembler, C, C++, Pascal etc

Reply to
Bob Martin

It can, but getting it on the phone may not be easy. Would it have to be rooted first? Limits the scope a bit as most aren't rooted.

Reply to
dennis

Not sure whether it must be rooted as both my android phones have been rooted since the day I got them, but as long as it's packaged as a .apk there are several ways to install. I was a bit surprised the other day when I copied a .apk to /system/app and it was immediately executable.

Reply to
Bob Martin

/system/app

You don't need to be rooted, but you need to tick the box Settings / Applications / Unknown sources

This is unticked by default which means you can only install Android Market digitally-signed apps. Remember to untick it afterwards.

Reply to
Reentrant

Let us know how you get on, it might be fun to port some stuff like deflection programs to a phone. You could write one that used the camera to measure deflection and then workout the load on a beam for instance.

Reply to
dennis

e quoted text -

Run the Windows Cleanup tool. Will delete all backup installable files and browsing history. Ran mine after a few months and the difference it made was fantastic!

-John

Reply to
johnm01