OT: From BBCR4Today, this morning

Unfortunately I didn't get this chap's name, but what he pointed out regarding EU-UK trade agreement was interesting.
It seems that the EU, in insisting on regulatory *alignment* by the UK as a prerequisite for a trade agreement, is in a minority of two (2) in the world regarding how such matters are handled (the other is China).
That is, only the EU and China try to export their regulations by trying to force others to *align* their regulations. Everyone else does it by accepting regulatory *equivalence*, that is, each partner of the" trade agreement agrees to accept the other's regulations regarding the items covered by the agreement.
No doubt the usual suspects here will jump up and cry that the EU's approach is reasonable and that the UK has no choice but to accept it, but that's not the case.
As the geezer being interviewed said: "The EU is an outlier in this regard.
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich people
by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are poor.
On 08/01/2020 10:13, Tim Streater wrote:

The EU is acting like big daddy with a recalcitrant teenager, like they know best and still own us.
Because the only people they talk to think they do. The blessed remoaners.
Like the London bubble, they simply have no idea what peole outside think.
I have family living in Germany. Their ignorance of what Britain is like these days is overwhelming.
--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14
Actually though when it comes to standards etc, we need a level playing field. you cannot have different standards being accepted for goods to sell here than we would apply to our own producers, that is clearly discriminatory. When I worked, most product modifications were done to suit the market buying the product. That is just how things are. Brian
--
----- --

Making export goods to meet the standards of your customer's country is normal. It is not normal for that country to require that everything sold in your own country is made to their specs though, nor to control workers rights, tax rates, banking systems, environmental laws, etc.
SteveW

It's a way of making a more level playing field.
Trump isn't happy with China manipulating things like its exchange rate to give it an advantage. Etc.
--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

so in that case the EU won't have a problem with declaring all counties should operate a minimum wage of 10 Euro an hour
will they!
because this "You should level up to us, but we don't need to level up to you" is hypocritical
tim

Why would we want a level playing field? The EU is afraid of innovation, is the problem.
--
"The EU Customs Union is a racket that defends producers in rich countries
against producers in poor countries."

It clearly isnt with vacuum cleaners.
On 09/01/2020 14:23, Ray wrote:

Ah, but that is 'innovation' that is legislated for after careful consultation with industry lobby groups and its not really innovation, its legislated obsolescence...

It's one reason big business loves the EU. They can do their lobbying in Brussels where there's no oversight (unlike here). Just like with MEP expenses.
--
I was brought up to believe that you should never give offence if you can avoid
it; the new culture tells us you should always take offence if you can. There

Clearly the EU isnt AFRAID of innovation produced that way.
On 09/01/2020 19:41, Ray wrote:

It isnt innovation

What they make the sellers of vacuums in the EU do is.
On 10/01/2020 09:31, Ray wrote:

no, it isn't. Nothing new about making overpriced crap at all.
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Producing the same suction capability with a lower power motor is of course innovation.
On 10/01/2020 16:44, Ray wrote:

Not really no
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,

Corse it is.
On 10/01/2020 18:41, Ray wrote:

no, its simply copyimg better blade design from something like a jet engine.
Bercause the extra design time is now justified.
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,

Still innovation with vacuum cleaners instead of a more powerful motor.
And clearly the EU isnt AFRAID of that innovation.

Still innovation with vacuum cleaners instead of a more powerful motor.

moving something from one product sector to another counts as innovation
that's all Dyson did - yet he has full protection for it
tim