OT: From BBCR4Today, this morning

Unfortunately I didn't get this chap's name, but what he pointed out regarding EU-UK trade agreement was interesting.

It seems that the EU, in insisting on regulatory *alignment* by the UK as a prerequisite for a trade agreement, is in a minority of two (2) in the world regarding how such matters are handled (the other is China).

That is, only the EU and China try to export their regulations by trying to force others to *align* their regulations. Everyone else does it by accepting regulatory *equivalence*, that is, each partner of the" trade agreement agrees to accept the other's regulations regarding the items covered by the agreement.

No doubt the usual suspects here will jump up and cry that the EU's approach is reasonable and that the UK has no choice but to accept it, but that's not the case.

As the geezer being interviewed said: "The EU is an outlier in this regard.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The EU is acting like big daddy with a recalcitrant teenager, like they know best and still own us.

Because the only people they talk to think they do. The blessed remoaners.

Like the London bubble, they simply have no idea what peole outside think.

I have family living in Germany. Their ignorance of what Britain is like these days is overwhelming.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And that the WTO may be looking at the issue in March(?)

Reply to
Andy Burns

It doesn't really matter though, does it ? If the EU *can* enforce it's will, then ... it will. If it can't, it can't.

I'm just imagining a mugging victim complaining to someone demanding their wallet *and* clothes that most muggers just take wallets, and how that conversation would go.

Also it's a tad undignified for the UK to effectively have to jump up and down and whinge "it's so unfair" at this point in the game. What with knowing exactly what it was doing and all that.

There are plenty of oddities in US trade regulations, but somehow countries have to suck it up.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We won't be doing that. We'll be lining up our friends to help pressure the EU.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Your argument is predicated on the fact (as is the EUs), that the UK will not walk away with a 'no deal'.

I am not so sure that is the case at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually though when it comes to standards etc, we need a level playing field. you cannot have different standards being accepted for goods to sell here than we would apply to our own producers, that is clearly discriminatory. When I worked, most product modifications were done to suit the market buying the product. That is just how things are. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Really? Which friends would they be?

Countries all put their own interests first. Just as the UK thinks it is doing. Only time will tell if this works or not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Making export goods to meet the standards of your customer's country is normal. It is not normal for that country to require that everything sold in your own country is made to their specs though, nor to control workers rights, tax rates, banking systems, environmental laws, etc.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Any other country wanting a trade agreement with the EU.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That Ms Wrong-Daily, Labour leadership contender, still doesn't get it that you need a realistic threat of no-deal when negotiating a deal. Asked today why she wants no-deal not to be an option, she replied that the EU doesn't want it.

You really couldn't make it up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm surprised that anyone needs to be told this

It's nonsense stilts that they are asking for

they should be firmly told, don't turn up at the meeting until you have removed this requirement

BTW, It's weird that China ask for it. Does that mean that to get a trade deal with China we have to dump all our effluent in the local river untreated, just like they do?

tim

Reply to
tim...

that not the level playing feel they are asking for

they are saying that we have to have the same rules for selling stuff here that they have for selling stuff there

That's simply a proxy for remaining subject to all EU rules without the benefits of membership

tim

Reply to
tim...

the problem is:

it tries to enforce it by simply drawing out the proceedings wearing you out so you get fed up and agree

that's why we have to have a deadline and walk away if no deal is done by that date

that the date is only 11 months away is their own fault for using the same technique in the previous phase.

Tough on them, but their own fault

tim

Reply to
tim...

It's a way of making a more level playing field.

Trump isn't happy with China manipulating things like its exchange rate to give it an advantage. Etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - right. So we enter an agreement with other countries to gang up on the agreement which is the EU.

But are you serious that those 'friends' of ours have anything like the collective power of the EU?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

so in that case the EU won't have a problem with declaring all counties should operate a minimum wage of 10 Euro an hour

will they!

because this "You should level up to us, but we don't need to level up to you" is hypocritical

tim

Reply to
tim...

Why would we want a level playing field? The EU is afraid of innovation, is the problem.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It clearly isnt with vacuum cleaners.

Reply to
Ray

Ah, but that is 'innovation' that is legislated for after careful consultation with industry lobby groups and its not really innovation, its legislated obsolescence...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher