OT forged in fire censorship

On Blaze TV there is a series of programs called Forged In Fire

In each program 4 blacksmiths come into the studio "smithy" and are given 3 hours to design and forge a knife blade using a variety of secondhand materials and a variety of different techniques. The quality of the raw blades are then judged and one person is eliminated.

The 3 remaining blacksmiths are then given another 2/3 hours to refine the blade and attach a handle. This time the blades are put through a series of slashing, cutting, sharpness, tempering and strength tests with another person being eliminated.

If watching the programs in the evenings the expert judges are shown performing the tests including the martial arts expert effectively disemboweling and spearing a human dummy. During the daytime showing of the same programs all the tests showing the effective techniques of using a bladed weapon are edited out presumably in order not to give school kids any new ideas.

Hint: if your kids want to learn how to kill someone with a knife just record the evening edition!

The type of test that may be left in is firing a bullet at a blade edge and the blade splitting the bullet, usually without any edge damage.

In the final part of the program the two remaining contestants are asked to manufacture a copy of a named historic bladed weapon (knife, spear, sword etc.) and send back to their own forges where they are given a week to complete the challenge. The final product is put through a series of performance testing where any usage techniques are edited out of the daytime showing. The winner of each program gets $10,000.

Reply to
alan_m

Only one in five people caught carrying a knife were under 18, it would make more sense to ban the sale of knives to over 18s and let the schoolkids have carte blanche.

Reply to
Graham.

Well I'm assuming this is an American show. I'd guess that a home made gun or bomb show might be considered a little too extreme.

What are these people thinking?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think from what I've read about carrying any weapons, and disregarding lone nutter, many people who get killed by knives turn out to be the owner which is similar for guns as the attacker usually disarms the victim and uses their own weapon on them.

I do feel though that when I was young we had a lot of tv which said, please do not try any of these things the program you are about to see depicts experts in their field and its dangerous to do this or that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nightjar

We now have Youtube where no such warnings are given.

Reply to
alan_m

Quite. Say a woman carries a gun in her purse for self protection. And is attacked by a gun weilding thug. How long would it take to get that gun from her purse? And what does the thug do while she does?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)