Multi -tool

Have been using the Stanley version but leaving it in the bike pannier has resulted in it being a bit rusty nothing devastating but enough for me to get my finger out and get a new one.

Are the Leatherman brand worth the price premium or is there another brand that has better quality.

Quality is the over riding factor but price will be considered (no paying three times the price for something that is only [say] 10% better).

Reply to
soup

Not the tool itself, the snap that holds its wee container thing together.

Reply to
soup

I have a Leatherman crunch (the pliers have an overcentre toggle like a mole wrench). It is very well made, although I don't like the scalloped knife and the file is a bit feeble. You would not want to put too much torque through the screwdrivers either, but the pliers are excellent.

Reply to
newshound

FWIW most multi-tools have lock blades and therefore could be regarded as offensive weapons.

From

It is illegal to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place (with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is less than 7.62 cm (3 inches)).

A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is illegal to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade (if you do not have reasonable excuse). A lock knife means a knife which is similar to a folding knife, in that there is a spring holding the blade closed. However, a lock knife has a mechanism which locks the blade in position when fully extended, the blade cannot be closed without that mechanism being released. A lock knife is not an offensive weapon per se (because these knives were made with a specific purpose in mind and not as a weapon). However, possession of a lock knife in a public place without reasonable excuse is an offence.

Possession of a multi-tool incorporating a prohibited blade/pointed article is capable of being an offence under this section even if there are other tools on the instrument which may be of use to a person in a public place (screwdriver, can opener).

The ban is not total, it is for the person in possession of such an instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that he/she had good reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for example, someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial arts sport or scout meeting (which is easily checked).

The penalty for committing this offence is a maximum prison sentence of four years.

Just saying.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I've had an original Leatherman (there was only one when I got it) for ca. 25 years. It's still going strong, although the sheath fell to pieces a couple of years ago & Leatherman no longer make them, so I had to buy a similar one for a different one in their range.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Mike Barnes writes

That's a worry ... I've been carrying a Leatherman Wave round various government buildings for around 20 years. At the House of Commons they ask you to put it in a plastic tray while you go through the scanner and then give it back to you. I'll have to let them know they should arrest me. At least at the Victoria Passport Office they keep it at the security desk until you leave.

Reply to
Nick

The leatherman knife has a rounded end, therefore not very good for stabbing people. Also, I have always found the scalloped blade fairly useless, and have never managed to sharpen it effectively even with the proper tool. I've speculated that these features might be designed to meet US (or some other?) regulations, does anyone know?

Reply to
newshound

The blade in my Leatherman is pointed and sharp. But, then, it's probably over 10 years old, before all these Safety Elves got involved.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

newshound doesn't reveal his model or what his 'proper tool' was. The Wave has both a pointed blade and a scalloped blade, which is the one with a rounded end. Both of these are still sharp, though the scalloped is much more so - slitting grain and feed bags with no effort. I can't remember when the last sharpening session was, though I have the 'proper tool' from the Leatherman UK dealers. It does like a nice dunk in light oil from time to time. ICBAed to check, but I think the scallop blade is designed for descaling fish.

Reply to
Nick

newshound wrote in news:bK6dndtQYb5NAs snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

There's a good chance it came the legislation in the original country of origin/design but I don't know for sure.

I just wanted to point out, as you mention the shape of your blade, that the UK legal position takes no notice of the pointiness of the blade. It can look like a bit of cutlery but by the letter of the law you are on a loser if you come across some jobsworth copper who chooses to write you up for having a locking blade in the wrong curcumstances (the right circumstances are very limited).

Again, just for info.

Reply to
Peter Burke

Mine doesn't.

Reply to
Huge

Nor do any of mine.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've been carrying a "Leatherman Squirt" in my hill-walking rucksack for a couple of years. I've rarely used it, but there's no sign of rust despite the damp conditions, and it appears very well made. It only has a 40mm blade, but has wire cutters. I bought it after encountering a sheep trapped in discarded fence wire in a stream on a mountain. Sheep are not very bright.

Reply to
LumpHammer

On my second Leatherman Juice c2. First one robbed by airport security, (Would anyone believe it was actually scrapped ?) Pocket sized so its always with me. Feels fairly indestructible. Knife, screwdrivers, pliers. corkscrew, bottle opener. First one had scissors instead of corkscrew. Probably more useful Indispensable.

Reply to
fred