pee in the pile

Caca, poo poo, pee pee to you too!!!

Just how many people are considered to be healthy nowadays, Merkle Turkle?

How much uric acid is good for the compost pile?

Is the urine still 95% water if you've been out drinking alcoholic beverages and abusing controlled substances all night?

If you bladder is full, you might not make it all the way to the compost pile!!!

If you really want to go organic, why not fart on your plants as an all-natural insecticide?

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

RIGHT... and so it is. That is how polio and many other diseases including some of the hepatitis viruses get passed around. Ingrid

Merl Turkin wrote: As a kid you are brainwashed into thinking

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Heard at my composting class that human urine is good for the compost pile.

Reply to
Mogie

We're talking about using your OWN not other people's for starters.

Don't spread FUD.

Reply to
Merl Turkin

That's a title one obtains primarily through volunteer work and a measure of training, all the result of a government based program. They are no more qualified nor expert than any of a number of other gardeners and they are certainly not qualified as chemists or horticulturists simply because they have completed an MG program. Programs are state sponsored and some are absolutely worthless while others are great. You'll find that many of the folks on this newsgroup are more experienced and knowledgeable than the average MG.

I would think not. Like I said in my post -- urine has been used for centuries in a similar manner, however in days gone by there were not as many chemicals in it so it was more "pure". Nowadays I wouldn't do it due to the variety of chemicals and such in what we consume (healthy or otherwise).

Compost piles do just fine on their own -- if you want to add the same effect, just sprinkle some nitrogen and over it and you'll be fine. (Urine also contains phosphate,calcium, and various other minerals for that matter although I'd think it's the nitrogen you're after.)

Hey -- if you REALLY want to get gung ho about it, go get a composting toilet or a septic system installed and go the whole nine yards. Ever notice how green the grass is around a septic system's leach field? :)

BTW, being HIV positive and urinating on the pile would be little different than someone not infected doing the same.

James

Reply to
JNJ

Nope, it wouldn't be "little different", it would be NO different. The virus doesn't live in air.

Philip

Reply to
no one of importance

".......... RIGHT... and so it is. That is how polio and many other diseases including some of the hepatitis viruses get passed around. Ingrid ..........2

What a load of Garbage............I think this really is someone taking the Piss.......

Reply to
David Hill

AIDS is not transmittable in urine. Why not go all out and do like they do in a lot of foreign countries, and justuse all of the waste products, just pump that septic tank right out on the lawn and garden area.

When I was in Korea, we had a row of porta potties set up along the military base perimeter fence line. There was perhaps 20 of them, and every day old pappa san would come in and pumpout these porta potties, and go outside the fence to his rice paddy and crop area and literally pump all this waste onto his crops. He had some mighty fine looking crops, however I would certainly not eat them. Its common for 3rd world countries to use human waste for fertilizer. Even that clown Jerry Baker the master of all master gardeners uses urine in his so called tonics.......

-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http:// snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address

Reply to
Roy

While it is true of HIV that it does not appear to be transmissible in urine, other viruses do indeed survive in the air. For example, cold viruses are typically spread on door knobs and infectious virus of pox is present in the dried scabs. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Which is why I limited my remarks to HIV alone. I just get tired of the stupid remarks around a disease that has the potential of destroying entire nations. Look into what's happened in Africa regarding HIV and the destruction of a couple of generations of people. One UN ag deputy minister went into Africa for a meeting with minister from Nigeria, IIRC (it may have been Zimbabwe) and was met by the country's Minister of Agriculture. This was highly unusual, the meeting was a low level one. The minister explained that normally he'd have sent several deputies, but they had all died of AIDS. He then went on to say that AIDS has so decimated his country's farmers that famine is pretty well assured.

Reply to
no one of importance

Yours is the first reasonable and knowledgeable post I've seen in this thread.

Lana

Reply to
szozu

healthy.

Ingrid you are mistaken. In most people most of the time urine is sterile. The only time it is not is if the owner has a urinary tract infection. The microorganisms that cause many diseases that are communicable by contact, exchanging bodily fliuids, droplets in sneezes, etc don't generally cross over from the blood stream to the urine.

See here

the case of the UTI the bugs mostly get into the urine and surrounding tissue from the outside via the urethra not by crossing from the blood.

In the home situation you are much more likely to exchange microbes with each other by touching, kissing, breathing etc than contact with the urine of another. The chance of getting such via urine when you have not got it by any of the more common methods would be slim indeed.

My estimation is that the risk is vanishingly small.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The message from snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) contains these words:

No, P, he wouldn't, because craziness is not infectious, fortunately. But thanks for a good tip on how to get compost heaps turned over for free; I'll just pin a little sign on it saying "meth lab staff entrance".

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

than we do of fecal matter, yet urine is far safer. >>

Actually, if you have nothing better and are out with the Special Forces eating spiders (or lost in the woods) its a useful topical antiseptic. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

This info came from the master gardener's. Would think they know what they were talking about. Of course you don't line up strangers and have them pee in your compost pile. Of course you don't pee in the compost if you have AIDS either. Come on.

Reply to
Mogie

You are incorrect. Most individuals who are HIV positive are also on a cocktail of medications to stay alive. Therefore the urine would not be the same -- there would be a variety of chemicals present that are not present in the urine of those not infected. Furthermore, each individual would likely not have the same biological processes, eating habits, and other factors that affect urine content. Ergo the statement that the two would be little different.

Semantics aside, we're saying the same thing -- this aspect of the thread is purely idiotic. James

Reply to
JNJ

Agreed. Let's let the AIDS thing drop.

Philip

Reply to
no one of importance

Since you are "no one of importance", we can ignore your request.

If you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist like Reagan did, that's your personal prerogative and don't try to impose it on anyone else.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

OK, maybe you didn't read the whole thread. I was agreeing with James that the idea of AIDS being passed by urinating in a compost pile was pretty much stupid and should be dropped.

Philip

Reply to
no one of importance

Maybe you didn't read my earlier statements. I am disagreeing with you, buckwheat.

You should not underestimate the potential of infectious diseases being spread by a trash pile and the vermin they attract. Its just like the vermin this thread attracts. You and Jim Bob should be dropped from the discussion.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-