OT Forced new smart meters

The idea that we've all got to have them, and to heat rather than cool, is.

Reply to
Max Demian

If you have different suppliers the electricity one won't know whether you have gas or not.

Reply to
Max Demian

dennis@home has brought this to us :

I have several, but that's me..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But they will know you only have electricity from them, and refuse you a smart meter on that basis.

Reply to
Andy Burns

RJH pretended :

I think they have the option to install a remote mobile antenna.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

RJH was thinking very hard :

Yes, they still need a mobile signal..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Max Demian formulated the question :

I understand the gas meter talks to the electric meter, using a battery designed to last 10 years. Electric meter has power, the electric meter then phones home once per day, with perhaps an every 30 minutes series of reading and also reports to the indoor display unit. Hence the gas meter update to the indoor display are much less frequent than the electric consumption updates.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 20/06/2019, Max Demian supposed :

The meters are installed by the DNO, not the company you pay for your fuels. The instant gas consumption can be read on the meters display, or the indoor display and when it works fully, on your suppliers website.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

AIUI that changed with SMETS2 as they can each fit a smart meter and the gas one will work with the electric.

What I think you still can't have is a smart gas meter with no smart electricity meter to forward the data.

Reply to
Robin

Dan S. MacAbre wrote on 20/06/2019 :

That delay, might be due to the delayed roll-out of SMETS2, they will not want to install SMETS1.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Max Demian formulated the question :

They don't force you to have the either whiny kids or the polar bears :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I still have one, made by English Electric. Wikipedia suggests this means it is from before September 1968.

"Tested 8/88" on the sticker. "Property of Midlands Electricity Board"

Reply to
newshound

Chris Bartram formulated on Thursday :

Yes, but the SM's provide much better feedback and near instant, so you are empowered to know what consumes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Read thread before replying.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

the specs don't cover reactive current. No-one's claiming they're off on real power.

not really

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I can't really help if you miss the whole point of the report.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

10 years is of course inadequate battery life

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

you've had the link enough times here.

proposed, no. However it's been done to some extent. Read the linked article.

Yes, the meters. Read the article.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What would suggest that has a longer life? After all it's not just doing nothing.

Reply to
charles

The test load was normal and common.

I won't ask what sort of equipment you run that consumes weird waveforms. Regardless the meter should register correctly to within 2%. A 500% error is a bit of a concern to many of us, even if not to you.

they are wholly immaterial

Another one that didn't read the article. How useful.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr