OT Forced new smart meters

Are you claiming the University of Twente study was a spoof? Do you even know what you're claiming?

it's not illegal, they meet the required spec. The spec just doesn't address the issue.

Let us know if you ever grasp what's going on.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

then IIRC it's out of cal date. A fair number are.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

??

Reply to
tabbypurr

You are clearly a complete k*****ad, though - so they are probably not overly concerned.

Reply to
Jim

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com explained on 20/06/2019 :

I would certainly notice a 5x increase in reported consumption and the increased bill.

Even universities like to sensationalise things. As do the medical profession, it gets them in the papers and they get free advertising out of it. Just look at all the food scare stories. The said butter was bad for you, people reduced their butter consumption, the cost of butter fell. Next they decided butter was absolutely fine resulting in its price in the shops going up massively.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I read that article in 2017.

What I have not read is any follow-up study showing significant errors in real world scenarios. Odd that. What's your explanation? Suppressed by the governments and industry that have invested so much in smart meters? Or just possibly a bugger all to worry about in practice?

Reply to
Robin

So according to you the published specs, UK Power Networks, and DECC (to name but 3) are wrong.

Precisely which "specs" are you working from?

Reply to
Robin

I don't give a fig for that report. Let me rephrase my question. Do you now accept that smarts meters are now able to measure and report both kWh and kvarh?

Reply to
Robin

Ready installed at the meter board, complete with telemetry equipment, it would be quite special.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Reactive energy *consumption* is a strange expression. This energy is not consumed. Except insofar as it increases resistive losses in the supply network, but I doubt if that is what they mean.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The energy is not consumed, but the grid still has to transmit it, thus increasing infrastructure costs, so there's some point in improving the power factor.

Reply to
Tim Streater

if/when they have SMETS2 meters available, they can do mesh networking to a neighbouring smart meter (if one exists within range that has a mobile signal)

Reply to
Andy Burns

So why does my electricity supplier keep phoning/writing to me to have a smart meter?

Reply to
Max Demian

  1. You aren't told what individual appliances consume.
  2. You can't determine the average consumption of appliances which turn on and off with a thermostat, e.g. fridges and freezers.
  3. You can't determine the total energy consumption of, for example, a cooker so you can't compare cooking a stew entirely on the hob or in an oven, or compare cooking a jacket potato in a conventional oven against a microwave.
Reply to
Max Demian

Robin presented the following explanation :

Your latter suggestion is the correct answer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andy Burns was thinking very hard :

Trues, I had forgotten that. It might help a little, but not a solution in all cases.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I can get a good idea, by isolating all of the other energy consumers. I can see how much my base load is, by checking the graphs over night. I can see how much gas I burn for heating, I can see how much gas it burns heating a tan of water. I can see the cost of my morning shower.

All much easier and more conveniently than it was with mechanical meters.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

since you clearly don't understand the situation, I won't take any further time on this.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

umm... dimmed lighting is a real world scenario. And was only their worst performance point.

neither. obviously.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr