OT Forced new smart meters

That may well be the case, but after one of the various changes in responsibility for the reading and upkeep of meters, those then in charge made an across the board decision to remove all electronic gas meters previously installed. The guy who did mine was under the impression it was because of battery issues.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Please tell us where you learnt that smart meters do bill for imaginary power.

UK Power Networks (in the document I've already cited) last year stated:

"Domestic customers have historically been billed only for their real power consumption where whole current metering is used. Customers using CT metering have been billed for reactive power where their consumption is excessive; typically in excess of 33% of their active units; representing a power factor of 0.95.

It isn?t proposed to start charging domestic customers for their reactive energy consumption ? this would reflect a significant change in existing charging methodologies. However, by gaining visibility of domestic customers reactive energy consumption, we could start to target installations with DNO-supplied solutions or education on how to improve power factor."

Were they lying? Or has something changed since then?

Reply to
Robin

What if you have different suppliers for gas and electric? What about the consumer wanting to know the instant gas consumption?

Reply to
Max Demian

I didn't think suppliers of single-fuel tariffs provided smart meters?

The readings on a smart electric meter are every few seconds, but on a smart gas meter only once per half-hour.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Seems that SMETS2 will address that by separating the communications hub out from the electricity meter ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

My main objection is the way they imply they will save you money, when any saving would only come by changing your usage, which you could do anyway.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Which does explain why they aren't touted as a solution to save water or gas.

All the plugging I have seen for smart meters is they *save* electricity which can only be done by using less.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com laid this down on his screen :

Under special/ abnormal circumstances. No meter could possibly be designed to measure all types of consumption with absolute accuracy, rather they are designed for the usual mix of load types, they can expect to come across out in the field. Test them exclusively with a weird, specially chosen load, then expect weird consumption bills.

I could do a door to door survey, but that would be rather pointless, I know without the survey that I have lots of equipment generating weird waveforms.

My bills are what really matter, the crux of the argument. You suggest the meters over charge (money/bills), I have seen no evidence of this at all and I have had several SM's in the past four years.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

+1

There's also the huge additional payload of demand-side switching to avoid investing in infrastructure and ability to remotely disconnect users for when the proles need teaching a lesson. Admittedly not techincal reasons, but reasons enough.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes, I also think that those that have them should pay the additional cost of installing and running them.

Reply to
Michael Chare

What pf would you expect an induction hob to have?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Nothing new-fangled about heat pumps. See here:

Reply to
Tim Streater

No they don't you can get a single chip that does it.

Reply to
dennis

You are just making stuff up.

Just because a smart can measure apparent power doesn't mean that the supplier can use it. It would be illegal under the current consumer laws even if its allowed on commercial premises.

Brexiteers will make stuff up about anything even if its nothing to do with brexit.

Reply to
dennis

They aren't that special, I have a DC clamp meter that only cost about £26.

Reply to
dennis

Mine is battery powered and talks to the electricity meter. The electricity meter has the connections for the display and the mobile network.

Reply to
dennis

You're lucky - mine's just been read and the frost pad (the old 'block' was much easier to manipulate) was on edge, so 'must be replaced' means 'can't be arsed'. The way taht this 'Summer' is going, a hard frost wouldn't surprise me!

Reply to
PeterC

Exactly what I did. I considered Bulb, but So Energy were comparable, and offered a 12 month fixed price.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And they camn make a smart meter a condition of the attractive tariffs.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And from next January, they will be a condition of the new smart export guarantee tariffs

Reply to
Andy Burns