OT financial investment

Seen no evidence of fleas and bugs proliferating. In fact f*ck all mozzies this summer because its been drier than average. Flys nothing special either.

Reply to
John_j

I see you are on planet zonk. Here on planet earth, that doesn't happen

Yes, it is.

You really are useless aren't you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That has gone, and lots of people who were tied 'advisers' (salespeople) aren't in the game any more.

You can look for an IFA who will work on a fee basis - expect to pay a few hundred pounds for a consultation. That might be enough if you don't need ongoing servicing.

The price can be offputting for people starting out with small amounts, because a few hundred takes a big chunk out of their investment. That's why IFAs may offer percentage pricing, so the fees scale as the investment does. Those are not so good if you have large amounts - look for fixed fees or capping.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

An 'inheritance ISA' is the vehicle an ISA gets put into after the decease of a spouse/civil partner. It's a cash wrapper that allows you to fund it in your name (presumably from their estate) with up to the value they had in an ISA. Once in there, you can then transfer to a regular ISA in your name (of any kind, cash, S&S, etc).

The interest rate isn't great, but it's only intended to be a short-term holding vehicle.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

this is not the case on a death and the recipient is spouse (in your case) or certain other types of beneficiary. It is placed into an 'inheritance ISA'.

Just thinking back, looking at the size of your estate I assume you have looked at Trusts? If not then I think you should. Again you need to speak with a tax expert to fully understand all implications including CGT (which probably will also bite your daughter on the land you gifted her if my memory serves me well).

Reply to
Bev

been happening all the time since about Feb 24th this year.

Like f*ck it is. How are your investkents in steam trains and coal fire power stations going ?. Things evolve, unlike NHS-freeloaders like yourself, stuck in the 19th century.

Not as useless as Woodford and his dodgy investments in unquoted companies, plus all the idiots who treated him like a investment 'guru'.

Reply to
Andrew

Its clear you simply dont klnow what an investment fund is.

Envy wont make you rich

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The moral there is not to get sucked into Hargreaves Lansdown's marketing hype. I'm on 3 platforms and no-one else pushed Woodford so hard, but then they did the same with Anthony Bolton when he went into China and that's where I learnt my lesson.

Supermarkets should not be pushing any one product more than any other, there job is just to ensure you know what they hold and make it available and why H&L haven't been really hauled over the coals is an indictment of the cosy relationships the authorities have with the villains.

AnthonyL

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>, AnthonyL snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid writes

My understanding is that ISAs can be transferred on death to a surviving partner. The problem arises with the second death when they have to be realised and this may coincide with a market downturn.

The Times is criticising their ethics today:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Capital gains tax *holdover relief* works for agricultural land transfers. Basically, the tax is paid on the next sale.

Housing on 6 acres should sweeten any tax bill:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I don't subscribe and not seen anything in the financial sources I normally check.

What was the gist please?

Reply to
AnthonyL

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>, AnthonyL snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid writes

From our re-cycling bin... Article by Mark Atherton commenting on a report from the Investment Association claiming that the total amount in

*responsible investment* funds was £28 billion or 2.1% of the funds under management.

Comment *the six largest fund groups including Fidelity Investments scored poorly and were given the lowest grade*.

It boils down to a realisation that investments largely are unconcerned about the impact they have on the companies and countries in which their money was placed.

Nothing of financial concern, just a Greta whinge!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well just do a bit of research and see what the Church of England invest it squillions in. That might help.

If you have sold a lot of land and now have cash then for the rest of the year I would not invest it in any fund or financial instrument until the global economic picture settles down. Park it in something like National Investments Direct Saver for safety.

Definately wait until after the US presidential election. Use the time to familiarise yourself with all the terminology, and get a basic understanding of what a US Treasury bond or UK Govt gilt is and how they are sold and traded, why they are important for annuity rates, plus Corporate bonds, equities and collective investments like OEIC's, Funds, Investment Trust, ETFs. How these collective investments apply charges when you buy and all the while you hold them. Can be significant over a period to 10-20+ years

If you don't have a grasp of, and basic understanding of these then you are not going to know why your friendly IFA is advising them.

Presumably as a farmer you had an accountant ?. He must know of a decent IFA, which you probably need. Even the NFU must have lists of IFA's who they trust.

Reply to
Andrew

I'm an atheist:-)

Yes. Thanks for the reminder. I have a Premium Bond stash but had not realised the £85k limit did not apply to the Direct Saver account.

Reply to
Tim Lamb