OT: Energy Performance Certificates

They also have the option to score it as "assumed". I think that's [mainly] for places where they can't see the insulation and there's no persuasive paperwork but the date of construction means it was required to meet the regs. But it may be they'd take one look at you and just know they really can and should assume what you say is true :)

Reply to
Robin

My EPC surveyor seemed to work on the opposite basis: if she couldn't see with her own eyes that something *was* present, she assumed (for the purposes of the report) that it definitely wasn't present, despite subsequent photographic evidence to the contrary.

Reply to
NY

Mike Rogers snipped-for-privacy@mattishall.org.uk> posted

Yes, I have had just the same experience, except it was our purchasers' surveyor. And then they tried to chisel down the price of the house, because they'd have to get the cavity filled so as to improve the energy performance!

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

The last EPC survey I had was just a copy of the previous one with no visit. It said that I had individual gas room heaters, whereas there has always been gas central heating AFAIK; the flats above me do have individual heaters by the look of the flues. It said that hot water was "from main system", though I don't know how that would be assumed to be possible except with a "back boiler".

They must have visited at some time as it had a wrong percentage of low energy lighting for the wrong number of light fittings; and out of date now as they are all low energy.

Reply to
Max Demian

I do have the certificate (from before my ownership) but you can see the foam in the loft where it poured over the top of the cavity

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can't in ours, the lower edge of the roof timbers are lower than the ceilings, so you can't get closer than about 3' from the top of the wall and it is completely hidden.

Reply to
SteveW

Exactly what the guy doing one last year said.

He also warned it would include some recommendations for improvement, and they'd all be invalid in this case, but it's automated.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Foam ??!!. The tops of all the cavity walls on this estate are unsealed. The outer leaf supports the asbestos/cement soffit boards while the inner block leaf goes up another course and supports the trusses via a timber wall plate.

All the rockwool cavity insulation has partially filled the space between inner leaf, soffit and roof felt of the overhanging bit of roof.

Reply to
Andrew