Makita DHR243Z SDS

In case it's of interest to anyone ... my ancient and much-used DeWalt DW566K SDS drill suddenly decided to stop SDSing so, after a bit of poking-around and finding that not many spares were available, it seemed an ideal opportunity to buy a new toy. I've become a fan of 18V Makita tools over the last year or two so bought a DHR243Z ... it's amazing! Much more capable than the DW566 ever was, feels great in the hands, runs for a surprising time, and there's no need for extension leads and no cable to get in the way. It's slightly heavier than the DW but overall I'm very impressed. Whether it was worth going for the 243 (removable chuck) model rather than the 242 will only become apparent with time. The only question now is what to do with the DW, which still works well as a non-percussion drill.

Reply to
nothanks

Spare drills come in very useful at times

Reply to
Animal

My mains powered Makita HR2470T still going strong, but I had a need to use an SDS away from mains power, so went for a 36V DHR263Z (which is not the current model, it is brushed rather than brushless, slightly slower speeds) but basically feels just as capable as the mains one, I haven't tried them head to head.

The mains dewalt doesn't look too different to the mains makita in specs, so a little surprising you found the battery one more capable?

Yes, extra weight is about the only downside I can mention of the battery one.

I went for the exchangeable chucks on the mains one, and though it makes it a very long tool, it has proved worthwhile (e.g. drilling desk grommet holes in 2" oak)

Reply to
Andy Burns

We've been gradually transitioning from 2 stroke and 4 stroke garden tools to 18v cordless. They are amazingly convenient. Chainsaw we only use occasionally so 18v is much handier. No cursing and swearing trying to start a 2 stroke engine. Most of the hedges are cut from a tractor but 18v for the odd bit of tidying up and trimming is grand, Strimmer with 30mins use and a spare battery to hand is fine Leaf blower ditto.We use a rotavator attachment on a Stihl split boom engine and I really cant see battery replacing that. We'll keep other attachments in the mean time.Most of the tools are Husqvarna with some Bosch. We do have a biggish garden.

Reply to
fred

Spare SDS ones far less so I would have thought, since deprived of their hammer capability you only have a slow drill with no chuck.

(or a slow long wobbly drill with a SDS to chuck adaptor permanently stuffed up its nose)

I would probably flog it for parts - there might be someone looking for a new armature etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Add it to your collection of drills. I have seven, and I've recently given two away.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Hmmm, yup they do tend to accumulate over the years... I lost count some time ago, but it is well into double figures!

Reply to
John Rumm