OT: Email hosting

My shared hosting provider has decided to throw in the towel, so I'm left trying to work out where to move things to. Web and DNS I'll probably DIY, but I came to the conclusion life's too short to manage email myself and I need to 'get a man in'.

The sort of thing I'm talking about is: Extremely low bandwidth (1 message per day) and storage (

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Register1

Reply to
Huge

Freeparking allow 10 POP accounts on a domain, for free

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

get a virtual server and roll an exim mail system

Not too hard. cant stick your mail/dns/web on it.

entry level sub £100 p.a.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Monday 06 May 2013 01:41 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

linode are quite reasonable for this sort of thing - I'm about to do the same...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Medway Handyman

I'm using FreeVirtualServers.com and it's, errr, free.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not stupid restrictions just commercial reality. Take a long hard look at the real need for so many separate mailboxes and domains.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

This is what I'm doing for web and DNS. But low volume email is a pain to set up and monitor - is my system broken or did just nobody email me this week? So I'm happy to do this for messing-about purposes, but not for something I want to rely on.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Sign up for screwfix/aldi/lidle mailing lists. The screwfix one is sent early every morning, the others are a bit more random or at least not daily.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On 2013-05-06, Theo Markettos wrote: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh, the irony.

Reply to
Huge

I use mythic-beasts.com shell account for email and web hosting, simple, full control, and good service.

I also have another email account with netmotivated.co.uk for over ten years, everytime they update their system it seems to get more complicated.

Reply to
djc

I thought you needed a fixed ip address for this, many are not.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You don't need a static address but there are some people/organizations that won't send and/or accept mail to/from a dynamic address.

I have only ever had one address blocked by a remote server on my mail system that runs on a dynamic address.

Reply to
dennis

Virtual private servers generally are - ie all you get is one fixed IPv4 numeric address, and if you're lucky an IPv6 address or few. It's up to you to sort DNS etc. I'm slightly surprised they can afford to hand out IPv4s in such large quantities but they do.

After a bit more digging I discovered Kloxo (a web hosting control panel a bit like CPanel, but free) seems to be lightweight enough to run on a low-end CentOS 5 VPS, and the installation instructions don't look too painful. Hopefully it will save me from making stupid mistakes in the mail configuration. And I just signed up for a EUR2/month VPS (in Germany) to try it out...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

To followup with what actually happened, I had a couple of false starts - signed up for Cpanel in somewhere that turned out not to be the UK, setup basic email on a VPS but then there was webmail, IMAP/POP3, spam filtering, mailing lists to sort out too and was too time consuming. So I installed Kloxo on a VPS which gives me the best of both worlds - everything is installed and working, I can configure things with a web control panel, and no stupid limits. Plus I can SSH in and have root when I need it.

It's only $3/month so is cheaper than I was paying for a limited shared hosting package too...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos