OT electric cars. New method of charging on the move.

Um, not new and not useful for anything other than buses or other short hop, limited route vehicles.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A parry people mover that needs batteries!

Reply to
dennis

Hmm I have heard of this before I'm sure of it. However, how accurately does the bus need to be aligned I wonder. Be no good with the normal behaviour of traffic would it. Also, if you are in a jam running systems like lights etc, what happens if you lose so much power you cannot get to the next segment of charging cable? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The on board diesel genset fires up to charge at battery. Simples...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How do you stop an electric car stealing the power?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You fit rfid devices to the bus and don't turn it on unless its a bus.

Reply to
dennis

"Why don't my credit cards work? My iPhone is dead, how did that happen?" Etc.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So exactly the sort of vehicles that it's being proposed for and that most benefit from electrification? There's a co-incidence :-)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Of course but Harry put "cars" in the subject line. Utterly useless for them.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There's a handshake signal that the bus needs to send before the charger turns on. If you're inside the bus, it's quite a good faraday cage, and as the coupling is very good, there isn't much of a stray field outside the periphery of the vehicle.

It's a variation on a system that's been in successful use for a while, which has charging stations at each bus stop, and the bus picks up enough charge in a minute or so at each stop to get it to the next one.

The converters are mounted in holes in the road, and the whole unit can be lifted out in a few minutes by crane for maintenance or replacement. The converters are powered by standard mains power.

Mind you, it isn't going to be cheap to install, with a 100Kw converter and charging unit in a hole about a metre cubed, with power feeds and drainage every twenty or so metres. It'd probably be cheaper and more efficient to just put up overhead cables.

Reply to
John Williamson

With a tap-off like the dodgems, you mean? Extra! I can't wait.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Of course if an in motion system for charging were to be incorporated into motorways, that would make a big difference to the usefulness of electric cars for many people. There again, you could forget charging and just use the coils as a linear induction motor :)

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW