OT: Electric cars; how green are they?

Last figures I saw were $30,000 - or $12,000 pre-paid for delivery in 7 years time.

You'll pay any maintenance or replacement costs as part of the monthly fee. And you can by a lot of petrol for $30,000.

So they keep saying. Ever since the very first electric vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Perhaps. Perhaps not, since development is far more likely to focus on the absolute capacity - people are more likely to buy a new electric car given a 50% increase in range, but for the vast majority of new buyers a

50% increase in longevity is irrelevant, since they will only own the car for a fraction of the current lifespan.
Reply to
Adrian

I got some distance into the Dust to Dust report before I fell asleep and I think they were arguing that the extra energy cost of using aluminium over steel and cast iron is more than set off by the lifetime energy savings so making cars out iron and steel is a head in the sand approach to conservation. Rather like windmills really.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Maybe - but depreciation will likely be horrendous if the battery costs to be replaced and has a known life. You couldn't give away those Peugeot electric vans after about 3 years old even in perfect condition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cars that have a reputation for longevity should see that reflected in their second hand values.

I have long been of the opinion that the only practical way round the limited range and lengthy charging times, at least for the foreseeable future, is standard battery packs that can be swapped in a few minutes. You would never own your battery and the supplier would be responsible for charging and replacement when the battery pack got tired. If the battery packs came as modules the small cars could have a single module and large vehicles two or more. Half a dozen for a Hummer? ;-)

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Do you need either of those protocols when you have a hieratical network like you should have if the routing is done correctly, as it should be with IPv6? They were protocols invented to handle the c*ck-up made with allocating IPv4 addresses and while they are used today they aren't needed if you design a network rather than throw one together. Assuming the allocation of IPv6 addresses is actually done correctly there will only be a few hundred entries in a router table not the tens of thousands there are now and you don't need the same protocols to broadcast them.

Reply to
dennis

However this was implemented it would be reflected in the cost of the vehicle. I dunno how many you'd need over the number of cars that used them - but it would be substantial. People wouldn't want to drive round looking for someone who actually had them. And given the battery is so expensive, it would be no small cost. Fast charging is likely to be a better option.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed. Availability is the key and such service stations would need to be almost as numerous as petrol stations are now.

Fast charging would have to be part of the equation as well. As I understand it there is no prospect of fast charging ever being anywhere near as quick as filling up with petrol. What would be the quickest a charge on a par with a full tank of petrol which could be made with technology at least on the horizon? And secondly how long would the average punter be prepared to wait for a battery charge if he had to stop during a journey?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Interesting points. If you want hierarchical addressing of the type used in the phone system, that will require an impossible level of cooperation, and doesn't in any case address the issue of networks spanning more than one country. DANTE's network covers some 35 or so countries in Western Europe. Which "country code" should be used?

AFAIK, you do actually use the same protocols for moving IPv6 routes as IPv4 - whether that could be simplified I don't know. Our network (using Juniper routers) was fully IPv6 ready, as were most of the customer networks. With IPv6, it was the commodity IP carriers that were dragging their feet. We asked for native IPv6 connections but the likes of Telia, Colt, Global Crossing all just said "There's no demand" so all they provided were v6 tunnels to a single router. Not very satisfactory.

I agree about the mess that IPv4 address allocation is, and we should be running out of new addresses available to be allocated soonish (like, with a very few years). This may create some pressure for v6 to be more widely used.

It's true that the v6 concept is for there to be comparatively few routes in the routing but that won't happen, IMO, without substantial changes to the way things are done. Since I'm out of the loop now I've no real idea whether the sorts of things that IIRC you were alluding to in your first post for, in essence, end to end connections, are being addressed. IP is, after all, connectionless.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yeah but no but yeah but no but..., Oh my god! I SO can't believe you just said that! Shut up! I ain't even done nuffin! Don't go giving me evils!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A wonderful collection of clichés.

I've got Dennis killfiled so I just don't see his rantings until somebody else quotes him. If we all did the same he'd just fade away without all the slagging-off that he gets, which just causes more congestion. Think about it.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

They weren't wrong, though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I believe that sir may be unfamiliar with the comedic efforts of Messrs Walliams & Lucas

Andy Burns

Throwing a spatula in the works, how would running a Diesel on used vegatable oil compare?

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

If you do it cleaning waste cooking oil that was going to be thrown out otherwise, enormously green, but insignificant in terms of global fuel usage because there isn't that much used food oil around. If you do it by turning rainforest into oil palm plantations (or by displacing subsistence farmers to starve), not so good.

Alan Braggins

Interesting, but completely wrong. dennis understanding of IP routing is well up with his understanding of everything else; nonexistent.

Reply to
Huge

The breakthrough really needed hasn't happened yet. Despite the billions spent on research.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the fuel is free, it will compare very well. Of course if there was no tax on diesel or petrol no one would bother with electric cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Zinc-air batteries last indefinitely, and possibly could be recharged and swapped at service stations.

Matty F

stretched to last 200 miles, that's still an awful lot of battery packs to be stored at every "petrol" station. How does the volume (& weight) of a battery pack compare with 50 litres of petrol/diesel?

Very unfavourably I'd wager and in practice, I can't ever see the swappable battery pack working unless batteries can be massively reduced in size. You'd also need to provide every service station with the electrical equivalent of a direct pipeline to the refinery to charge all the depleted packs which would be a huge undertaking.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie