OT Driving Licence Renewal

Curiously, your driving licence number already includes your date of birth. Just fudged a bit. Supposedly why the Police ask to see it.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I didn't return mine. Didn't think they'd be bothered to check. (Only keep the current one with me, though.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

It includes your sex too. Will trannies want to change their licence numbers?

When the first paper licences came out, they included your DoB in the clear, until some vain women objected, so they put it in the corner with dashes so they could cut it off. Then someone discovered the *very* simple way it was encoded in the licence number.

Reply to
Max Demian

IIRC, somewhere in the renewal information, they say it is an offence to be in possession of more than one UK driving licence, although somewhere I am sure I still have my first one, which was a small booklet.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Very witty.

Work this one out. I was 73 last December. I recently realised that I haven't received any reminder about renewal.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

An now it is back on the front of photo licences again - presumably to compy with the EU format.

Reply to
SteveW

Or DVLC have advance information on 'The End Of The World' (as we know it).

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I still have my (paper) bi-lingual one (Welsh-English) lying around somewhere. I couldn't find it when I crossed the 70 threshold, and DVLC didn't seem to get very upset about it not turning up.

It might be an offence to have more than one UK driving licence, but any earlier 'licence' you might have is past its expiry date - hence it is no longer "a driving licence" and is just a piece of obsolete trivia.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Astonishingly, the liability for that (failure to renew) rests with you, not them. Who would have imagined that?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Blame the 14 year-old website designers. I bet they also wanted to use mid-gray text on a light grey background - because it looks 'cool' (or whatever the latest phrase is).

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

You might have to take a Driving Test again. That happend to my m-i-l.

Reply to
charles

They only want the

I cant believe they have someone joining up the damaged pieces, extracting a number and ticking it off the list ! Destroying the licence is a lot easier than getting an envelope and stamp and posting it ! "Must have got lost in the post " seems a difficult excuse to counter.

Reply to
Robert

Cheaper too, at the price of stamps today.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Especially if you use one of the Chinese fakes and the DVLA has to pay the £5 RM admin fee.

Reply to
alan_m

they don't make that clear at the begin of doing it on-line, house details, Ni number and lastly passport number I don't have a UK passport any more, have an EU passport because I often travel to France and Spain

--

Reply to
Mark

Ditto

Reply to
Andrew

And another trip to Specsavers if you have previously declared conditions in *both* eyes

Reply to
Andrew

If you do it online (at 70) then you lose your historic right to drive a 7.5 tonne truck with a car licence.

If you need to keep this, a paper application must be made.

Some camper vans are intentionally registered as just over

3.5 tonnes because (apparently) this allows a better choice of insurance (according to my neighbour who has one).
Reply to
Andrew

Aviva must employ a lot of these people if their 'new improved' annual pension statements are anything to go by.

Reply to
Andrew

When I last renewed mine (early last year) they just asked me to cut up the old one while waiting for the new one. I kept it so I could check all the details of the new one were correct. I don't think they asked for the bits of the old one back.

Reply to
Max Demian