OT Driving Licence Renewal

Curiously, your driving licence number already includes your date of birth. Just fudged a bit. Supposedly why the Police ask to see it.>-- Tim Lamb

Also, if the code "01" is included on column 12 against each allowed vehicle category, it means you have declared you need glasses to drive. NALOPKT

Reply to
Graham.

However, as I > have a fairly recently renewed passport that had a new photo, they are > happy to use that.

they don't make that clear at the begin of doing it on-line, house details, Ni number and lastly passport number I don't have a UK passport any more, have an EU passport because I often travel to France and Spain --

As I didn't have my passport number to hand when I did my 70+ application online I ticked the box saying I didn't want to use its photo, fully expecting to be given an opportunity to upload a new image. Not so! I had to send them a physical print by mail.

Reply to
Graham.

I have just completed the online application for renewing a driving licence for the over 70s. The web site uses something like 8 point text throughout. Is this a sneaky way to check that I have normal eyesight, as I have declared?

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Use the Ctrl and + keys together to increase the apparent font size on screen.

By the way, I've just renewed my 70+ DL. Take note that when you get to the end of the process it will ask you to print out a page and sent it to Swansea with your current licence cut in half. You also have the option of asking them to send you the "printed" form if you don't have a printer (or, like mine, choose to not work at the time!). You then sign it and send it back to them.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I usually use the percentage size option on the page menu, if I need to increase the size. However, as this was just legible without, it made me wonder whether it was bad design or a deliberate ploy.

Looking at the page I was told to print out, that is only to keep a note of the reference number. There is nothing about sending anything back with the cut up licence. Evidently there must have been some difference between our applications.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Mine took 5 days, Saturday on-line application to Thursday arrival by post, and I then returned the old licence cut in two, as I read the instructions, just by itself in an envelope.

nib

nib

Reply to
nib

Same here.

Reply to
Davey

My 70+ licence turned up in a couple of days. I don't recall any instruction about having to return a form however as my photo was already on my passport no additional information or signature etc. was required to renew my old licence.

I'm sure that you don't need the printed form if you do everything on line and they already have your passport photo. They only want the cut-up old licence back but I'll bet it just goes into the trash unchecked. My old licence went back weeks after I received my new licence. It still had months of validity when I applied for my 70 licence so I wasn't going to even bother sending it back until I had my new licence. I applied for renewal at the earliest opportunity as Xmas and the new year may have delayed it and I needed it for a extended planned holiday after the Xmas period.

Reply to
alan_m

I am on my 5th(?) replacement (Age 83) - I have no recollection of any paperwork. I do know that after the 3rd/4th, you have to send a new photo and it's a waste of time taking a selfie. Also I have a friend as old as me who has never sent one back and has five versions in his wallet.

Reply to
Jim the Geordie

Surely you can set the size of text at your end! Much of the original intent of HTML was to allow the *user* to determine things like text size, colour, typeface, etc. This has got a bit lost over the years but it's still generally possible to set a minimum text size and say what typeface family you want to use. Also (with most browsers anyway) you can simply zoom in.

Reply to
Chris Green

... not to mention that being able to read 8 point text is no help at all when driving a car.

Reply to
Chris Green

I can, but I know others of my own age who would have no idea how to go about it.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

It said that the validity of my photo runs out next year. However, as I have a fairly recently renewed passport that had a new photo, they are happy to use that.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I have trouble with my So Energy bills. They have no idea about contrast; black text on a dark green background, for example.

Reply to
Bob Eager

mine is only valid to 2025 what happens then?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Rinse and repeat.

Reply to
Davey

You just re-apply for another 3 year (over 70) licence.

Reply to
alan_m

Some corporate colour schemes are equally bad. I noticed that whilst watching the London Marathon that some of the advertising banners lining the route appeared to be white text on a light blue background - not enough contrast to be able to be read. I'll bet the company involved spent a fortune trying to get their name on TV :)

Reply to
alan_m

It's possible I got it wrong, but I seem to remember (and it's only a month ago) that not only did I have to sign it, but I had to put my date of birth on it too. I thought that odd, as I'd have expected to put the date I signed it. I didn't have to supply a current photo, although my passport expired a couple of years ago and I haven't renewed it. The new licence appeared in a few days.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Perhaps the form was because you didn't provide all three forms of ID that they used to check my identity online - driving licence number, NI number and passport number.

Reply to
Colin Bignell