OT Daytime TV

My now long gone next door neighbours once appeared on the Jeremy Kyle show.

Reply to
ARW

How the f*ck do you manage to do that? You have claimed to be blind on all you other posts.

Reply to
ARW

ARW wrote

He wasn't blind, until he started watching the Polish blokes DVDs.

Reply to
Jabba

ARW wrote

Did you have to supply a DNA sample ?

Reply to
Jabba

There, I've edited it for you ;-)

(I've watched little TV in the last (ye gods) 10 years and I now find it the mental equivalent of standing in a shouty footballers pub on match night just before kicking out time: A noisy, incomprehensible kaleidoscope of colour and shouting that prevents thought!)

Reply to
Scott M

Yes, I have noticed that on the rare occasion I've watched that channel. All the continuity announcer can say is: Stay tuned. Blah, blah, blah.... It looks & sounds a really amateurish setup.

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

Possibility 1. Mr. Gaff does not live alone, and his companion is sighted.

Possibility 2. Mr Gaff owns an old analogue TV set, and if he tunes in to a channel with audio that sounds like a TV programme or film sound track, there's a good chance there's video to go with it. He may be able to recognise Polish even if he doesn't speak it

Possibility 3 It is easy to make a good guess at what language the programme is in, especially for someone living in London, where many languages can be heard in public and on local broadcasting stations, often with a translation either over the top or after the interviewee has finished speaking.

Reply to
John Williamson

That's almost celebrity status in those circles.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Then you should find out how to change channels and read a programme guide.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Adrian used his keyboard to write :

He's a short bald headed guy who thinks he is absolutely wonderful, a magnificent solver of wrongs, with a terrible southern accent.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why? I've basically found I CBA to watch TV. I struggle to even remember to watch an entire series I might want to see (and it doesn't worry me.)

But since I'm at the mercy of other people who watch commercial TV I am often found asking "is there any way I can make this thing stop making this terrible noise" as it just seems to be a maelstrom of tossicocks.

Reply to
Scott M

That's your prerogative. But if you really meant what you said in your previous post my statement applies. It's not all X factor or whatever.

Never heard of a recorder? ;-)

Ah. Go out for a walk, then. Or get yourself a shed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh I do. And have!

It was more a general comment that random TV is, to me, a wall of noise and light these days (adverts) or patently full of people spouting in an unceasing moronic flow, say the Cooking channel, or ITV, etc. I suppose I used to easily tune it out when I watched a lot of telly, but these days, if I liken watching an episode of Foyle's War to drinking a glass of water, then trying to deal with the rest is the equivalent of being thrown into the Atlantic.

There's a few things I like to catch but as I'm so out of practise at thinking "Oooh, I want to watch XYZ" that I'll catch the first episode of a series, sit down for the second episode and find the series finished a month ago!

I boggle at the thought that I used to sit watching that rat catching programme narrated by John Peel; and boggle even more that they're still making what amounts to a repeat!

Reply to
Scott M

Just for you Brian,,

I would like to tell,,

I noticed a helicopter rescue hero type programme, a few months ago now, it was

based in Dumfries and Galloway,

Rescuing a woodcutter intha forest,,

and later they cut to a Police investigation,,

I kid you not,,,

A landowner claimed someone was sneaking into his woods at night and poisoning his trees..

He knew this cos his trees were dying and someone snuck in and killedem..

The Police duly turned up and investigated the dead trees..

Yup they is dead,,they said.

And then a professional tree Psychologist was produced for our enlightenment..

//

Hilarious it wur..

////

I see dead trees too and wonder why..

I doan reckon it has owt to do wi sneaky tree assasins invading his property in the dark //

/////

There gorra bea nuther reason..

not mentioned,, or suggested..

//

Reply to
nutherperception

Harry Bloomfield wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk:

TV always over-exposes people until we are sick to death of them.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Harry Bloomfield wrote

Bats for the other side.

Reply to
Jabba

And always assesses the suitability of people to appear on television by the amount they have already been seen there. Into a swirling vortex of "As seen in ...".

Reply to
polygonum

If you look strange and have a speech impediment you stand a good chance of eventually achieving national treasure status.

Reply to
stuart noble

They obviously haven't found me yet, but once they do it will be a stratospheric up-turn in my media career ... :-(

Reply to
polygonum

ITV has some very good drama in the new season. Scott and Bailey. The Suspicions of Mr Whicher. Cilla. Chasing Shadows. In just one week. Since you liked Foyle's War.

As I said, with the huge numbers of channels, many showing dross, you need to look at the guides.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)