I had a couple of hours spare... (painting help)

So I thought I'd give the dining room a lick of paint to freshen it up :-) But it made the wall paper bubble off the wall :-( So I removed the wall paper :-) But the walls were in a bad condition :-( So I filled the holes, sanded them and painted them :-) But along the top of the wall, where some past owner had painted the wall a top foot deep border in white, there are now browny yellow stains coming through the paint :-(

It's never easy is it...

I actually had tried scraping off the old paint, it was patchy, and got off the flaky stuff. Then I sanded off as much as would come off. It's so old and well stuck, that if I held the sander there too long it would remove the plaseter around the paint, but not the paint. Anyway, I managed to get it quite smooth, and put the white emulsion paint over the wall. Now that first coat has dried, and the old white paint that is underneath (at the top remember) is making browny yellow stains! The old paint is white! Hello very confusing.

I could go out and BUY (sigh) stain block. But I was wondering, would white Gloss Undercoat do the same job? Because I have some of that already.

Help :-sob sob sob

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Try a small section with the undercoat and see if it works.

Good luck

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Have you ever tried it before? If I get no further suggestions, I'll have to give it a go...

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Paper the walls with polystyrene and then line that.

Reply to
EricP

heh heh yes, very good :-P

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

No I meant it.

Reply to
EricP

Our loft is lined with polystyrene, thin stuff on a roll, which has then been papered. Very warm in winter - and it gets very cold in winter up here!

Reply to
Bruce

It has saved me loads of work over the years, and given a small insulation value as well. :)

Reply to
EricP

The room is small enough as it is!

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

The stuff is like thick wallpaers FFS!

Reply to
EricP

Hello swearing stoppy pants man. I do not want to stick wallpaper up. I just spent a day getting the walls almost perfectly smooth!

I have painted the top bit with stain block. The gloss undercoat idea didn't work, it leaked through that.

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvj

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

I give up.

Reply to
EricP

I didn't :-) Persevere man, persevere!

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

In similar circumstances I've painted the wall first with a very weak PVA mix - around 5 water to 1 unibond. Then your emulsion on top.Worked here. I've also used a thinned polyuethane mix in the past, following a dry-rot treatment that kept leaking through. That worked too...

Reply to
Seaside Peter

Cheers Seaside.

I've already sorted it now, as I'm on a schedule and it had to be done pronto. I wanted to use what I had. But I'll remember your tip for next time :-)

Vj

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ