OT Daytime TV

I've had a couple of weeks off from my job to do some real work on my house.

While taking my coffee breaks I've been watching some day-time TV. What a load of c**p.

Are most day-time programmes voiced over by Dominic Littlewood? He has an very annoying style of describing any minor crime or by-law infringement as warranting a death sentence because 'it's against the rules'. It appears that in these reality shows TV crew couldn't find anything worthwhile to film but they have to fill half an of TV.

Today was a classic - how to make £250,000 in half an hour. Break into a local council natural history museum and steal all the Rhino horn from the exhibits.

IMO, the crime should have been reported as local thieves broke in an and stole resin replica horns without mentioning the top price the real may fetch on the black market, if they had the right contacts.

Reply to
alan_m

I've long suspected that the content of daytime tv is a govt sponsored scheme to get the unwell back to work asap. Not in anyway suggest the OP is a scrounger but I'm sure there are some who wangle extra days on their sicknotes.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No really, in this case its what it appears to be. Cheap programming to fill the schedules. the other wheeze is the so called 'New to' tags on some channels. This works like this. BBC makes series of Helicopter heroes, All are strange lengths, as they are really made for commercial tv. After screening them a couple of times on say bbc 1 and bbc 4, they then go to Really, where they are 'new to' and contain adverts. Really is part of the UK tv network owned by the bbc and itv jointly. NeThese are basically just tv juke boxes which repeat the schedule many times during the day and evening. When that is exhausted, the come to CBS Reality, another station with much the same policy as the previous one. This carries on until people hare heartily sick of the same episodes being screened as 'new to'.

This now seems to have been joined by True Tv which is obviously an outlet for crap US reality tv, like Killer karaoke, Fear Factor, Bait Car ( already screened on CBS Reality). And so it goes on and on.

How many times can come dine with us, Homes under the hammer, don't tell the bride, etc get aired? Of course Sky do the same on their free to air channels Pick and Challenge as well. The later is all games shows. Some of them were made before the younger viewers were born, such ads Blanketty Blank and Bullseye for example.

The latest heap of junk is coming in from the Antipodes, on most channels. Many are remakes of ours with either the same name with the country added, or similar in all but name.

We are also prone to make this crap, Brighton rescue is a case in point. who cares?

Personally, I only have such junk on until I'm sure it really is that bad. Approx 30 seconds.

Its no wonder remote controls are failing a lot more these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There's an easy answer, y'know.

Don't turn the TV on in the daytime. You KNOW it's going to be sheer unmitigated wall-to-wall shit, so why dive for that button in the first place...?

Reply to
Adrian

I once had the misfortune to watch Loose Women (the TV programme that is). I also once watched Jeremy Kyle - it was quite exciting. I can see why people with absolutely nothing to do might watch it. Afterwards I felt used and a little bit dirty ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I would have to buy a digital television before I could. Mine is still analogue and I haven't missed having it on.

Reply to
Nightjar

The only thing worse than DL would be DL on Sky with its constant ad breaks consisting almost solely of charities' sob stories followed by offers of loans at stupid interest rates (to donate to the charities?).

Brian Gaff wrote

FFS - the BBC were ordered to buy programmes from outside sources over

20 years ago. The BBC get to show the programmes a couple of times, then the original producers sell them to other channels.
Reply to
Jabba

Exactly, the problem is that for some reason misguided advertisers know people leave it on as wallpaper so will still pay to show their ads in it. At least some of them turn ntoshopping channels at that time, so there is no argument, that is what they are. I greeted the news today that I need to retune on oct 6th with dismay, and immediately think, what load of dross is this going to bring out of the woodwork.

I don't know hat the answer is, but part of it would seem to me to be, don't let any tom dick or harry with a wad of notes hire a channel and put out the crap. What a waste of bandwidth. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They have it on in the Hospital waiting room for transport. You are almost glad when a knackered old minibus with an idiot driver collects you for an all terrain trip home. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Funnily enough, a guy down the street has a video sender of some type and one can still tune into that and get what he is watching be it a dvd or Sat channel, The down side is that he seems to be Polish. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes but in the case of HH, they are credited as at least in part, funders. Ie joint productions. The thing is that surely it must be obvious that having a waste of bandwidth with several channels running the same stuff is stupid?

True TV even regurgitate the continuity announcements day after day with just a variation of timings. There is nobody there. You can often tell that when the wrong program is put out and nobody notices. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff wrote

All the time advertisers are happy to pay, the broadcasters will carry on showing these programmes. It's not like you're paying is it?

Reply to
Jabba

I think I should probably be pleased to report that I have absolutely _no_ idea who you're talking about.

Again, very easy to sort.

Reply to
Adrian

I suspect that many of the daytime ad slots are given away effectively free as part of a package of primetime slots.

Reply to
Adrian

We are. The advertisers get their money from selling their wares to us so the costs are included in the price.

F wrote

If you're foolish enough to borrow money from Wonga...

Reply to
Jabba

And, clearly, many are...

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Just wait a bit, and all the people who watch broadcast TV will be dead and gone.

Our kids very rarely watch broadcast TV - nor really do the grownups. (except when they visit my parents and they like to whatever kids/teen rubbish is on Sky), why bother putting up with whatever happens to be on, when you can just watch what you fancy from iplayer\netflix\recorded\downloaded\DVD (youngest, now 9 really struggled with the idea of broadcast TV and that you had to just watch what was on when she was little)

Lots is still crap, but it's crap they choose :-)

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Bob Minchin writes

Over 20 years ago, a colleague returned from a couple of days sick leave airing the same theory. Things obviously haven't improved.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian