OT d-i-y anti blood clot

Do bear in mind though that even low dose aspirin can cause major, and sometimes fatal, internal bleeding.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Use

70-odd used copies and many suppliers of new ones.
Reply to
Bob Eager

5 times the cost of ordinary 300 mg aspirin which can be cut into four with a sharp knife. take with food, not on an empty stomach.

People with a seriously reduced platelet count or existing ulcers should avoid aspirin though.

Reply to
Andrew

Not particularly short. I'm 5ft 10", weigh about 10st 3lbs and am not especially thin. But it's only a rough guide. Someone who does a lot of heavy physical work and is quite muscular, might be significantly heavier and be perfectly OK. It's one of the flaws of the BMI ratings.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Mostly I'm pointing out that your mention of a specific weight is even more flawed than BMI, which at least makes some effort to account for the fact that taller people will be heavier.

Reply to
Clive George

Although it may seem a good idea, it's questionable whether enteric coated aspirin actually reduces intestinal bleeding compared to normal aspirin. See several of the research studies reported here

Chris Hogg

Point taken. I was trying to keep it simple.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I am in a similar position as It's been discovered I have high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat, although I was completely unaware of it. However I don't want to take pills for the rest of my life, and I've come to terms with my own mortality.

Here is a relevant item on an interesting website:

They say anti-coagulants help, but I am not impressed by the smallness of the improvement in odds of a stroke. I prefer to take my chances and not worry about side effects.

Reply to
Dave W

You can't. It takes a brain scan to see which sort you have.

It sounds like your father unfortunately had a bleed, rather than a clot. It was unfortunate, as 85% of strokes are due to clots. That's why, if you have to self-medicate and don't know which type you have, aspirin is recommended. The odds are with you 85/15. OTOH aspirin can also help to kill you 15% of the time.

Reply to
GB

On 12-Jan-17 8:05 PM, Andrew wrote: ...

But still cheap enough.

I have many years of experience of cutting pills and, if one in the correct dose size is available, I would always prefer to use that to cutting down a larger pill. Even with a lot of practice, getting the dose correct by cutting is never certain.

Reply to
Nightjar

Boots sell 100 dispersible 75mg aspirin tablets for £1.69. So, the savings to be made are tiny. :)

Reply to
GB

Exactly so how is this a DIY approach. Unless you have such a scanner amnost your angle grinders.

exactly he was taking aprin so not to get a stroke as he;d heard that it thins the blood so yuo;re less likely to get a a blood clot

But not by my dads doctor who threw them out.

But is that figure for soneone taking teh correct amount of asprin per day (whatever that is) or for any amount of asprin my wss tking 2 or 3 at a time many times a day apparently.

This is one reason why quantity sales are limited by certain outlets.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm very sorry indeed to hear that. The dosage recommended is 75mg once a day, and that's a balance between the risks and the benefits. The normal aspirin tablet is 300mg, so this is quarter strength. Taking several tablets "many times a day" could unfortunately have had adverse consequences.

As a personal anecdote, I bruised my thigh and there was an internal bleed. I take 75mg of aspirin a day, and that contributed to the bleed, as clotting was reduced. It was very uncomfortable as there was a big lump, but not life threatening.

If the same thing had happened inside my skull, it would have been serious. Think of the skull as a box, with brain inside and a certain amount of space for the blood to flow through. If some of that space is taken up by a large lump of escaped blood, there's less space for the blood-flow, and the brain can be starved of oxygen.

Reply to
GB

Don?t get the effect of the enteric coating that way.

In reality it costs peanuts per year with the fancy one.

Reply to
grjw

What do you mean by tiny ?.

16 300 mg aspirins are 30p in Sainsbury. That is 64 days supply for 30p.

Or you could waste you GP's time and get them 'free' on prescription, but the real cost will be anywhere from £45 upwards.

Reply to
Andrew

likely to get a a blood clot

No it doesn't thin your blood. Medical myth, commonly propagated by people who should know better (typically nurses), presumably because they think the patient is too thick to understand how they work.

Aspirin interferes with the platelets normal function of metamorphosing into a sticky plug when it encounters exposed collagen, as when you cut yourself.This is measured by the bleeding time of about 2 mins.

Warfarin, Heparin and others act on the blood coagulation stages, normally triggered off by a cut, which pass throughseveral factors (like Factor VIII, deficient or defective in haemophiliacs) and eventually polymerise fibrin into strands that get enmeshed in the platelet plug to seal the wound after the platelets have plugged it.

Reply to
Andrew

Well under NMW for the time spent.

You're actually understating the savings, because Asda sell 300 mg aspirins for 28p for 16. :)

Reply to
GB

So has my next door neighbour (the preacher man that runs the London marathon every year and carried the Olympic torch through our village in

2012).

He can talk properly but that's the end of his marathon runs.

Reply to
ARW

An interesting discussion. What's the advantage of drugs like Clopidogrel over Warfarin or Aspirin?

Reply to
nospam

Whereas Morrisons sell 100 75mg dispersible aspirin for 99p. At under

3/- a month extra cost I'm certainly not going to be cutting up tablets.
Reply to
Roger Hayter