OT: Cunning new scam.

Quite. You find that too? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I find a moan and "what are you wearing then?" usually makes them go away. Like a dirty phone call in reverse..

Reply to
Mike P

It cost 4 quid. I stupidly used my name and billing address and her card. Her bank was having none of it and smelt a rat. She was on the phone to her bank for 20 minutes verifying every security question they chucked at her. I was quite impressed.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Aha!

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

That would not happen if the system cleared the call whichever party hung up.

Reply to
polygonum

Tiddles?

Reply to
Adrian C

bounce?>

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My mother had, effectively, three maiden names. And two married names. I get confused!

Reply to
polygonum

Why use more than one, if the point is only to avoid using something that can be researched?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Not even *my* dead cat. And not a typical cat's name.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Of course it is. Everyone's heard of the dead cat Bounce. Dead famous it is. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I didn't mean when the card had been reported lost/stolen, I just mean in normal use, I tend to forget my VbV/3DS password most times I use it, nd the only information I have to give to set a new password (over and above that which I need to make a purchase anyway) is my DOB, which is hardly a state secret.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Remembering which lies belong to which account becomes a problem.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I just make uncommittal noises at them and see how far down their spiel they get without me saying a word.

Mmm.

Hmm.

Ah.

Uh-huh.

etc

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Thanks for he info. I haven't received a call like that and I think it's a very deceiving trick, indeed. Good thing you decided to call the credit card company instead.

Reply to
theikmarket

By the way, do you still have the caller's phone number? I strongly suggest you report it to

too, in an attempt to raise a warning. Others should be alerted, too.

Reply to
theikmarket

I can never remember which answers belong where, even when they're 'real'. I use cryptic lues - sort of half way between cryptic crossword and easy crossword - so that the answer isn't deducible from the clue itself unless one knows the answer. It's enough to remind me which one it should be. Some of them are so historic that I'm having trouble in remembering the answer anyway - I need a clue for it!

Reply to
PeterC

No joke! A neighbour, who worked for a charity that cared for small animals, had the maiden name of tibbles.

Reply to
PeterC

That is blocked by my Hosts file - could be a scam.

Reply to
PeterC

Or just phone a friend who lives alone and is likely to be home. If someone else answers, you know it's a scam.

Reply to
Matty F