Clever scam

This is a new one on me, and maybe I would have fallen for it. Card through the door from XYZ Couriers. We tried to deliver a package etc. Ring this number to arrange delivery. You can guess the rest, top rate premium number. Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days, it looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If I get such a card it always says that they'll try to deliver on such and such a day, some state the sender.

I'd be very suspicious of anything which had neither statements.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

This has been going on for ages.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from Stuart Noble contains these words:

Oh, I had one of them a year or two ago. Just sent a scan of it to Trading Standards and let them deal with it. Also rang ICSTIS to get them to bar the premium rate number, which apparently they did straight away.

Didn't seem remotely plausible.

Reply to
Guy King

What's ICSTIS?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Rate Phone Regulator .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Mathew Newton

"Mary Fisher" typed

Google is your friend.

It's the premium rate services regulator.

you all about 09** phone numbers, which you should avoid like the plague and only use when desperate.

I confess to doing this when my burglar alarm went off unprovoked one December 23...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

I never have.

That won't happen here.

No alarm :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks, bookmarked!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Silly of me to imagine that this was new, or that anyone on here would be taken in by it :-) If the scammers' card said they would attempt to re-deliver the following day, and simply showed the phone number without inviting you to ring it, they might get a better haul. At £15 a hit they don't need too many

Reply to
Stuart Noble

"Mary Fisher" typed

I only have an alarm because the previous owners had one fitted.

I don't have the guts to get it removed and the maintenance contract is £100 + VAT per year. The insurance premium reduction I get for it is minimal...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

I suspect that there may be another scam around which I haven't met before - I was working at a friend's house when the phone went and it was a Reverse Charges call - I said No because I couldn't think of anyone likely to phone him that way, and it did turn out that he has received another one of these recently - and refused it too.

Not sure how the economics of it would work out but they are bound to be against you !

Rob

Stuart Noble wrote:

Reply to
robgraham

To the tune of at least GBP3.48. Can't quite see any monetary gain for the calling party though

Chris.

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

But when you're sked if you'll accept a transferred charge you're given the name of the caller. Well, I ALWAYS have been.

A fake caller wouldn't know which name to give.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

What's up, Mary, Google fallen off the net today?

's the regulatory body which (among other things) regulates premium rate numbers.

Reply to
Guy King

No, but I've had distracting problems today, one was sorted by the bank and one by Zetnet but the postman hasn't solved the other ...

So I gather, it's a splendid site and now in my Favourites, thanks to someone who got in before you :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Assuming they could keep you on the line for 10 mins!

Reply to
John Rumm

You regularly use Usenet, so nothing new there.

HLAH

I'm confused by that as well. What happens if they are calling from premium rate number? Does the system charge you as if you had called them perhaps?

John

Reply to
John