Clever scam

The message from "John" contains these words:

I don't think you can call from a premium rate number.

Reply to
Guy King

I understood you got billed £15 when the recorded message started. Maybe that was scaremongering

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The maximum price that a premium rate line can change in this country is £1.50/min:

John Rumm

Thanks. Not so clever after all then.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I didn't realise there was a maintenance contract too!

That's three weeks of wine with dinner!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" typed

I could give up the maintenance contract. (I didn't have one the first 4 years I had this place) but then I'd be on my own should it malfunction again. It was horrible when this last happened, and I don't care for a repeat...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Stuart Noble contains these words:

Indeed it was scaremongering. I forget what the highest rate is but it's about £1.50/min or somesuch.

If they really wanted to nobble you they'd make it an international call!

Reply to
Guy King

=A32.50 a min, it was on't telly only last night !!

Reply to
Staffbull

The message from "Staffbull" contains these words:

ICSTIS's own wibble still reckons it's £1.50 and since it's them that enforces it I know which I'd believe.

Reply to
Guy King

It's one of these cons. Without one you don't get the insurance 'discount'. I've got alarms all round about - presumably on service contracts, since they have names on the bell boxes. And constant false alarms. My self installed one has never triggered falsely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, TV prolly putting a stretch on it!

Reply to
Staffbull

Aye, the highest I can find in the BT Price List is:

p0 - Calls to Premium Rate Services 28.06.1995 127.65 149.989 ff21 - Calls to Premium Rate Services 01.07.2003 127.70 150.048

p0 is a per minute charge, ff21 is a fixed fee.

Of course this for BT land lines, mobiles and other landline providers have their own price lists.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh come on, if it was on telly it MUST be true.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Radio 4 said £1.50, too. That clinches it for me.

Reply to
Guy King

Hurrah!

You will have mail,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Ah, the postie came!

Reply to
Guy King

He comes every day - but not always with such an exciting delivery!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not only that, but if you declared you have it, and get an insurance reduction for it you are expected to always use it. If you don't on the day you are burgled you might have some difficulty with your claim.

Usual advise here it to tell the insurance company that you do not use the alarm and you don't want a discount for it.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Well, only yesterday I received two calls that my caller ID said was

090xxxx, and they were silent calls. I assumed that scam relies on the curious calling them back just to see who it was.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

AIUI with ISDN you can spoof your outgoing CLI so the callee gets to see a "presentation number" of your choice.

Yes, and of course they can easily be automated nowadays just to call for a second or two so that a lot of people (like us, with the phone in the next room) don't get to the phone in time. So they don't pay for a successful call, if they pay much at all, anyway. :-(

DG

Reply to
Derek ^