OT: Copy Drive Contents

I have a hard drive in the computer which is 40Gb. The drive haas a section on it where the backup files are on a hidden partition to do a restoration.

Can I put a laregr drive into PC and copy this partition over to new drive..?

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

What is a hidden partition?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, you can image the disk and retain this system recovery partition if you want to.

It may be some hassle for you, though.

I did this with a dell box for someone a while back, and I used my Terrabyte Unlimited Image for DOS boot CD. I had both old and new disks present on the machine, and booted from the CD. You can copy over the main partition and extend it to the larger disk easily enough, but the recovery partition was a bit more hassle.

IIRC, the recovery partition had a FAT filesystem, but the filesystem identifier was non-standard, so it didn't *look* like FAT. The reason for this was to prevent windows from simply identifying it and mounting it as a drive letter.

So what I had to do ( support from Terrabyte NG ) was use the MBR utils to mark the partition as FAT, image it, and then mark it back to the custom type. Then image the main partition to the rest of the drive.

Alternatively, just ditch the recovery partition. Seriously. You don't need it. Re-install from a clean windows disk, not a recovery partition.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Particularly since it'll have all the outdated drivers and most likely all those lovely things that PC makers think you need, like AOL trials and Norton tasters.

Reply to
Skipweasel

If you are really cheap then download Seagate DiscWizard (free)

buy a Seagate Hard drive.

Discwizard clones your drive and resizes partitions but only if at least *one* of the drives is a Seagate drive. You can even let it do all this automatically. It's damn near idiot proof.

If you choose another manufacturers disc drive then either buy Acronis True Image (which is essentially the same as the Seagate offering) for about USD 50, or find someone with a bit of Linux experience and get them to copy it over for you.

Reply to
The Other Mike

If you have a clean windows disk... Got three releatively recent window boxes here, two Vista one Win 7, not an windows disc between 'em just a recovery partition and abilty to make a recovery media set from that, which will no doubt also include all the essential live dross.

That drives me insane all the crap you get that slows the machine down to even more of crawl.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I am sop glad I dont do windows any more except in a vitual machine..

1/. Build a decent computer, and install Linux 2/. Install virtual box 3/. Install Windows in a box, and all the windows programs you actually need that Linux can't do. In my case two only. 4/. Take a snapshot. 5/. Don't leave any data in the 'windows' area. Move 'my documents' etc to a networked drive on the Linux part of things. 6/. When windows chokes itself to death, or gets virus ridden, restore to snapshot. There. Takes 30 secs max. Clean install except all the work you did is elsewhere on another machine as far as windows is concerned.

If for any reason virtual box is too slow, like real time games, dual boot the bloody thing.

The real issue is to NOT compromise real work and real data by letting windows anywhere nearer than you absolutely have to.

Because sure as eggs is eggs, one day it will crap on you big time.

In short, once you have gotten over playing with computers, and they are a serious thing you use, get over windows as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't either, OS/2 Warp 3, patched for network access for me.

Does all I want of a machine email, usenet, web browsing, word procesing spreadsheets and household account keeping.

I'm forced to use a doze when people send me stuff in propritary formats not nice simple plain text or a web site that I really have to use has become "new and improved" with complex scripting or "style over content" flash based.

Yes, I could have linux box to do that but Open Office, in my experience is not 100% compatible with real Word. And there would be the issue of maintianing yet another OS, I doubt I could get the family to move to Linux.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't tell em.

Gnome looks pretty much like windows if you set it up right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Warp 4 apparently runs under Virtualbox, if it's of any interest. Warp 3 didn't when I tried it a year or two ago, but hopefully it might now ? Display adaptor support was the problem IIRC and I never cracked the driver manipulations needed. I hoped to re-visit the excellent OS/2 desktop with my Linux desktop mounted under it :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Noted but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Far better things that I should be doing rather than sat playing computers. B-)

Aye, Presentation Manager and the HPFS file system knocks doze into a cocked hat but most people dragged up on doze don't notice the serious failings that it has.

Haven't played with a linux GUI for a long time, they suffered similar doze limitations last time I looked. See above about not fixing it and better things that should be done.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

effective for partition and disk duplication.

or cheat ;-)

If you don't have a Seagate or Maxtor drive in the system (anywhere will do - it does not have to be the source or target drive), you get an error popup, and then normally it reboots when you ok this. However if you hold down ALT, and key t, then O ("t", "o" for Tech Override) it will let you carry on.

John Rumm

I've used Clonezilla to create disk images. Not as slick as True Image but it is free and can be used to create an automatic restore disc if need be.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

If you clone to a larger drive then you will end up with only 40GB of that drive accessible until you do some jiggery-pokery with Partition Magic or similar to increase the size of your partition. Doing this may well cause other problems such as making your hidden partition inaccessible.

Some disk utilities can do the cloning and adjust partition sizes as they do so. They tend to be relatively expensive utilities.

If it were me, I would clone the disk to an image file on the larger drive. That way all of the content will be preserved and accessible. You could boot a virtual machine from the image file or you could mount it as a drive and access it via Windows Explorer.

Mostly nowadays my old legacy machines are all stored as image files and I boot them using Parallels or VMWare if I need to use any of their features. After a time I find that I don't need them and can delete the image file(s).

Reply to
Steve Firth

I know this is a DIY group, but still, for the typical user (including me, even though I used to design and build computers from bare chips), each of those steps is the equivalent of:

Step 1: Remove engine

in a Haynes manual.

Reply to
BartC

In theory yes, but I've seen hard drives that have been re-partitioned with

3rd party partitioning software, this moves the location of the recovery data, and the PC/Laptop won't recognise the recovery partition because it's not in the right place on the physical disk. Some manufacturers have a pre-installed program that allows you to copy the entire recovery partition onto DVDs, it's well worth doing that.

On the other hand, sometimes it's really not worth keeping the recovery data... it's usually only a standard copy of Windows, along with a ton of branded junk that the PC maker decides you can't live without - crap like Norton AntiVirus, branded wallpapers, trials of programs etc. Personally, when I ever need to completely wipe and restore a PC or laptop, I wipe the disk and then run a standard Windows installation from a Windows DVD, your install code will be on a sticker somewhere on the machine. Anything else you need you can download later.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Easier said than done when such machines do not usually ship with a windows disk.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Maxtor drive anywhere on the system to enable it to work

Compared to the grief I've had in the past with Partition Magic it's just so refreshing to find a bit of software that does what can be a critical task, quickly and for free.

My only complaint is the user interface when you do a manual resize and the checkbox with what initially seems reverse logic.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Having read all the advice, I decided to add an external drive instead and to do a factory restore. Trouble was that there was a file missing but I did not know which one or if there was more than one,. I pressume the previous owners of the computer, BT, had wiped certain files for some reason. Anyway all sorted. Oh before I forget, it is a DELL Dimension 1100 should anyone be interested. JIm

Reply to
the_constructor