Backup/restore/external drive advice wanted please

I have been using a Maxtor external drive, sadly it has stopped working. As the drive does not like windows 10 I cannot test it easily. I have a desktop computer with 931Gb drive of which 103Gb is in use. I would dearly like a simple, well easy to operate, backup and restore software and a suitable external drive. All help welcomed. TIA
On 11/10/2018 10:32, Broadback wrote:

For drives, I favour Western Digital though I am using a Toshiba portable drive (USB) on this laptop. For software, I've been using Macrium Free for some years now and it have never let me down - and it is very cheap!
One of the best things I learned over the years is to divide large disks running under Windows into at least two partitions. I reserve one partition for the operating system with as little else as reasonably possible. So I can backup and restore my main "C" drive in less than ten minutes. Other data I backup and restore less frequently.
Since I retired I don't bother with scheduled backups, I just backup and restore as required. I backup the C drive after updates or other major changes, and I restore it after installing unwanted software or suspicious activity. Data drives, including email, I backup about every fortnight.
--
Oliver

Why cannot some enterprising person make a network drive that can see what machines are on the network and back them up when they are seen? Brian
--
----- --

They can, and do. But it gets tricky backing up files that are in use on a Win system, remotely.
Easier to do it on the Win system.

On 11/10/2018 15:40, Brian Gaff wrote:

If you are using Google drive and also their apps such as Calendar and Keep that is exactly what happens.
On Thursday, 11 October 2018 15:40:56 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

at

That's called backup software it's on a mac in the form of Time Machine, it can be used with Apples Time Capsules. But I prefer local HD backups personally, not that there's anything wrong w ith network storage for relatively small size files. I prefer manualy backing up files when I feel like it, but do use time mach ine and in fact have just recieved a 2TB WD HD for work after realising tha t the college network didn't back up my files and wasn't interested in sett ing an automated backup, so I have to DIY it :-)
On 11/10/2018 10:32, Broadback wrote:

I find little batch files based on robocopy are very convenient. For example I back up the data on a couple of laptops to their SD card, then swap these out periodically as "offsite copies" kept in the workshop.
This one is something else, it takes all the data on a USB stick and backs it up to a windows machine. (Obviously, the stick *has* to be the H drive). The clever bit is the /MIR switches. I forget what they all do, but this includes just copying files which have changed. The pause is to let you see that it has worked.
robocopy H:\ c:\Users\me\documents\H_backup /MIR pause
On 11/10/18 11:33, newshound wrote:

I gave up with local backups and went to
https://tresorit.com/cloud-storage
£12/month for 1TB, but zero knowledge encryption, Swiss DC and works on everything (even Linux - the client there is fully fledged).
Depends what you think your data is worth. Brian
--
----- --
newshound wrote:

Be aware that with robocopy, the /MIR switch will delete a file in the destination if it no longer exists in the source, that can catch people out if they expect files to "accumulate" in the destination over time ...
On 11/10/2018 13:00, Andy Burns wrote:

Ah yes, very good point. But I am using that deliberately in some of my cases where I might change file names to help manage data structures better. It does mean you are not left with multiple copies of otherwise very similar stuff, much of it slightly out of date.

I always wonder why so few seem to recommend Microsoft's Synctoy to provide the various types of data backup as discussed above. Is there a reason?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id 155
--
Bill

writes

Other stuff works better.
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 15:54:46 +0100

That's what version control software is for.

xcopy d:\usr\*.* H:\Archive /d/s/i/c/r/h/y/f will copy all new files and folders on d:\usr to the backup drive h:, and overwrite existing backed-up files on H: with the newer versions on d:, without deleting anything on H.

But sometimes it's handy to keep the earlier versions.
--
Jack

On 11/10/18 10:32, Broadback wrote:

Why doesn't the drive like Windows 10? Is it formatted with a file system W10 can't read? What error message - if any - does W10 give? Does the disk work on other machines? What is its interface? USB?
I haven't used Windows of any flavour for about three years, but when I did I used EaseUS Todo backup. Simple, effective, and reliable (and free).
--

Jeff

On 11/10/2018 11:36, Jeff Layman wrote:

It fails to recognise the disk, so I am stumped. the supplies software, which I have tried reloading does not work either. :-((
On 11/10/2018 11:49, Broadback wrote:

GIYF but there is loads you can try, depending on how much time you have to waste. Do you have access to any other Windows PCs? Do you know anyone with a Mac or a Linux box? You could get yourself a Linux boot stick for about a tenner from eBay, or download and burn your own. Then see if they can mount the drive.
If it is a fairly old drive and there is nothing of value on it perhaps it is simplest to throw it away and buy something else.
it may be the hard drive broken or the enclosure.
New USB enclosures are about £10 on ebay, USB3 is fastest (and backwar ds compatible)
I have lots of external hard drives with various old backups.
I dont bother with software to backup, just use windows to open two file windows and copy across into a new folder on external hard drive (or to an old folder if I want it just to overwrite files which i've changed since last time.
I agree with Oliver, I have a C: windows partition and a D: data partition which holds my documents and most of my other data folders, and my thunderb ird email folders.
On Thursday, 11 October 2018 10:32:23 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:

You've already got easy to operate software. OPen file manager, select all, copy. Go to your new external usb disc, create a new folder and paste. It could not be simpler. You certainly should have more than 1 backup disc if you want to keep your files.
NT