Possibly OT computer replacement

I am considering replacing my desktop computer. what is the best way of transferring data from my old one to the new?

Reply to
Broadback

Broadback explained on 20/11/2016 :

Remove the HDD from the old PC and plug it into the new one, you can then copy files and directories across as and when you find you need them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Something like this maybe:

Richard

Usually by installing the hard disk from your old pc into the new one and giving it a new reference. If it was C: in your old computer (with everything chucked into a single drive) then it will be D: in your new computer.

Problems arise when the old disk used the parallel ATA interface and the new one only allows for serial ATA.

Then there is the problem of creating partitions on the new computer. Years ago Partition Magic and its sister product for backups, made this a doddle, but there doesn't seem to be much out there now that can resize and create partitions on the fly.

Does Win10 have this functionality built in these days ?.

Reply to
Andrew

FWIW I disagree with removing the original HD and using that as the source of the data to transfer. Assuming the desktop computer is working ok, I would copy the files to memory stick(s) or another external HD in a case via USB. If anything goes wrong when removing the original HD or connecting it up you're screwed. You've quite possibly lost the data. It would be a rare occurrence, but then who doesn't believe in Sod's Law?

Also it instils the idea of creating backups on external media. How many times have we heard "You have got a backup, haven't you?"...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Using your backup of the data. That way you know know you have the data on your new PC and on the backup media before you touch the old PC.

And you also find out if you really do have an up-to-date backup that can be read ;)

Reply to
Robin

If you want to play it safe, make a *new* backup (rather than a series of incremental backups over time) to be sure that all the files are good copies of what's on the old PC. It's one thing to make sure that the list of pathnames and the timestamps match but that doesn't check that the contents of the files match.

I suppose to be really sure you'd back up the PC to the backup drive then do a WinDiff between the two. Then copy that backup to the new PC and WinDiff the backup with the new PC. If you're paranoid!

This assumes that you use backup software that creates an copy of the files/folders (as if you'd done a normal copy), such as MS SyncToy, rather than using a package that merges all the files into one huge backup file that needs proprietary software on both PCs to write files to and to read files from the single backup file.

I must admit I usually remove the hard disc and connect it to a USB-SATA interface and copy the data that way - but I can see that there is a very remote possibility of damaging the filesystem on the donor disc.

It's a shame that hard discs don't have a write-protect switch so you can be sure that when you are reading from a HDD its contents won't be accidentally changed in any way.

There is another way. Share the drive (or some folder and its subfolders) on the old PC with read-only permission, then copy from \\oldpc\sharename to c:\users\newuser\pathname - maybe using backup software such as SyncToy so you can break off and resume the copy process without having the hassle of answering all the "file already exists" questions if you resume the copying. Do this over Ethernet rather than wireless, as the latter will be much slower...

Reply to
NY

If they are both PCs, Windows makes it pretty easy for them to be on a Home group or whatever. Make the files you wish to swop shared, and simply copy them. Obviously removing the HD and installing it in the new machine will give quicker transfer speeds - but not everyone will find this easy.

Or you could get a portable storage device and copy them to that. Then copy to the new machine. You'll have an additional backup that way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What could honestly go wrong?

You drop it in a cup of coffee? The dog chews it?

I suppose I should have listened to you on the 100+ times I have done this...oh hang on. That was even before the days of USB....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

on 20/11/2016, The Natural Philosopher supposed :

I agree. This is what I have always done, since the days of (massive full height) 10Mb HDD's. Never a single failure.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

People love to invent reasons why one can't do things.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Once I even got a non functioning disk to start working long enough to get the data across.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its the snowflake generation again.

Meanwhile you are more likely to be killed by a bomb today than at any other time since WWII.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Arrange two access paths to the Internet (ADSL, 4G). Install strong client security software (AV, AntiMalware). Reach out to the cloud (public, private), enforce 2FA/certificates for access, and keep your data on neither device.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

For once I don't think they're to blame. There are no shortage of threads in here telling me I can't do what I've already done. It seems to be inherent in human nature.

Many of the responses in this thread are built upon the idea that one can't do the simplest most obvious: plug the hdd in. Of course one can.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Spend some time & think about what you have on the old machine.

You have data - files you have created - and a range of applications.

Copying your data files across should be fairly easy - most of the methods mentioned here should work.

The applications are more of a problem since they need to be installed on your new machine - not just copied across.

Have a look at all the applications you currently have. (There might well be some you no longer want or need) Make a list of the wanted ones.

If your new machine has a newer OS (e.g. Win 10) then some older applications might no longer work. Google Win 10 compatibility for any questionable ones.

Check you have the installation discs - or if free downloads - make a note of the download addresses.

This way you should end up with a 'clean'[1] install on a new machine which should be better in the long run than cloning your old HDD.

[1] You might have to remove all the cr@p bloatware that PC manufacturers like to stick on their machines.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

On 20 Nov 2016, Jeff Layman grunted:

But the OP has already got his original HD backed up anyway (hasn't he); so no problem if Sod did do his stuff...

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Broadback writes

Quietly ignoring the doom mongers, and assuming (1) you are using windows and (2) you mean data only, just set up your new PC as you like it, instal your favourite programs then copy data across using a USB stick. That way, assuming the stick is big enough, you will also copy the various folders, sub folders etc. Windows will update any ini files it doesn't like.

Alternatively, copy across using a home network.

Reply to
Graeme

Not from his OP - there was no mention of a backup, hence my cautionary approach concerning the HDD, and the (snipped) paragraph about creating backups.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

A new computer is an opportunity to test the backups in anger. An opportunity that shouldn't be missed.

Take the latest backup and restore all the data onto the new machine and check it. Then start the backups on the new machine and check them before you do anything to the old machine.

Reply to
dennis