Adjusting electric oven thermostat

Not much information via search, but it seems as though there is usually an adjustment screw somewhere behind the temperature control button.
Anyone adjusted an electric oven this way?
How reliable are the mechanical oven thermometers?
Top oven (Bosch combi) seems to register about 10 degrees lower than the setting on the knob.
Cheers
Dave R
--
W7 64 bit HTPC

David WE Roberts formulated the question :

The hysteresis, the difference between it switching on and switching off, will be at least 10C on such a thermal switch. I would leave it alone..
On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 14:07:55 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

However if I take a reading just as the heater goes off it should (in theory) be at the correct temperature or higher?
Cheers
Dave R
--
AMD Windows 7 Pro x64

David wrote on 20/11/2016 :

It should average out at approximately the set temperature, but domestic oven is hardly a precision device. Most who cook keep in mind that their oven under or over cook at a set temperature and make some allowance for it, either on the dial or the time.

Maybe he means that when you set the oven temp to say 200C, it actually runs the oven at 190C tho.
Not really enough of an error to matter, you'll get that much variation within the oven.
Even less significant if its F instead of C.
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 2:07:57 PM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The top oven on our Neff is absolutely miles out - it cuts off about 20C below set for 200C (this is set digitally) and has to drop another 20C before it reheats. Neff ovens are noted for it.

As it happened I salvaged one last week but I CBA to unthread the pile so I cut the capillary tube. I can't see any adjustment screw... ...Just dismantled it further and there is nothing to adjust. The capillary tube enters the centre of what is best described as a bi-metallic labyrinth with a plastic peg that presses against the switch spring.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Graham. explained on 20/11/2016 :

The manufacturer possibly sets the length of the plastic peg during calibration or crimps the tube down to reduce the capacity..

Ovens don't have just one temperature. The air temperature will vary inside (unless a fan oven), and the radiant heat will also vary in different places depending on the exposure to oven walls and their temperature distribution.
I wouldn't worry about 10C. Just allow for it when using the oven. You might find it's not constant anyway and as more of the oven heats up, it vanishes or even goes the other way.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Just get an oven thermometer and set the oven temperature dial to give the reading you want on the thermometer. We have a Salter http://tinyurl.com/jglybtq Seems OK. But as others have said, heat transfer is almost all by convection at normal oven temperatures, so unless you have a fan oven, temperatures will vary from top to bottom. That's why some recipes stipulate placing the item being cooked* on the top shelf or the bottom shelf, depending on what the item is.
*initially typed as coked! Freudian slip there, the difference between my cooking and SWIMBO's :-) She cooks, I coke. Alfred's cakes weren't a patch on mine for burntness.
--

Chris