Possibly OT computer replacement

Surely with a brand new PC and therefore likely a different version of your OS too, you'd want the most up to date copy of the simple (and likely free) stuff that doesn't need an installer? So just download it again?
Trying to think of any paid for programme I have here you can copy willy nilly. Sounds like a recipe for going out of business.
--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 13:58:11 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sometimes yes. Often not.

You use payware, other than the very occasional app that really doesn't exist free? It would explain your ideas on this.
NT

Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?
--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 14:18:11 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'm not that's why I saod I use Macs.

Migration assistant on the Mac. On a PC I would even attempt such a stupid thing. Most people update PCs when they no longer work properly they usualy buy a new PC with a new OS on it, you shouldn't try to copy the OS from one PC to another. if I was a PC user I'd use a USB stick to transfer files over it would take time of course and quite a bit of time. It';s unlikely that programs could be just transfered say from an XP PC to a windows10 PC and work.
Any paid for software I did have I;d serch for the serial numbers or other install codes so I could have them to hand if needed. Something I've not yet had to do on a Mac.
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 14:18:11 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often not.
NT

Thanks for not answering the question.
I personally can't think of any.
--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of shit.

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 15:28:12 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not the bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to 'install' a pile of useful apps in one shot.
NT

Ah. You haven't used Windows for some time, then?
Only things I'd copy from an old to new PC would be files. I'd do a fresh installation of the progs I wanted to carry over to the new machine. Far less likelihood of having problems.
--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 16:44:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, I went linux several years ago.

It depends.
NT

Perhaps that needs lots and lots of apps that don't come as part of the OS, like Windows?

If I were changing to a new PC but keeping the same OS, I'd just clone the HD. But if not, I'd likely find many of my paid for apps would need updating anyway.
--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

I have never had to when moving to a newer OS.
On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 01:19:42 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, everything for general use is preinstalled. It's a great way to avoid badly behaving apps.
NT

I don't have any 'badly behaved' apps on Windows.
And I certainly don't believe linux is perfect. No matter how many on here think it is.
--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

There are a fair number of simple portable utilities that can be freely copied between machines and will work OK from a USB stick without being installed (eg CPUZ) but these days almost everything serious wants to be installed and will react badly if it doesn't find the right keys in the registry to indicate that you have actually paid for it.
One really annoying thing when migrating from an old machine and wanting to retain access to a particular version of Office for testing purposes is that you must know the digital signature keys from the original packaging. Not being able to find that can be very annoying.
Fortunately one or two programmes exist to recover keys for installed payware so that you can move them to another PC when the old one is retired or expires. Some are tetchy about video or ethernet card upgrades and mistakenly believe that they are not on the original PC.
Recoverkeys has worked very well for me in the past when migrating on Windows machines where original packaging has been lost. YMMV
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Quite. Like PhotoShop and so on. The sort of prog which you can copy across freely can also be downloaded again for free. So hardly worth the effort of copying.

I'm quite meticulous about keeping the details of things I've paid good money for. But even things like the free Open Office won't allow you to copy it over.

Yes - although it's usually not a problem to get Windows reactivated if it thinks you've moved it. Provided it is your own bought copy. Dunno about the pre-loaded versions.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 11:29:28 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Payware has its place for the odd app for some people, but for nearly all apps now you're better off with freeware. Payware is in most cases just pointless.
NT

What cheaper/free way is there to get 5Tb of online storage than to buy Office 365?
On Thursday, 24 November 2016 13:31:33 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

ll apps now you're better off with freeware. Payware is in most cases just pointless.

Free 1TB I think I have unlimted storage on flickr for £25 every 2 years , they havent chrged me for 3 years as they screwed up thebcard number and emaile d me saying don;t worry until the next time you need to renew.

Paid for software is copy protected.
It does deep and nasty things to recondite bits of the file and operating systems.
Fortunately virtual machines do not. I have copied my XP virtual machine several times.
Along with all its 'paid for' software.
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 13:31:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

That explains a lot.

Which is why on the Mac yuo use migration assistant which can copy all the relivant files over to your new HD. if on the otherhand you have a lot of crap installed perhaps programs or utilities you haven't used for years then why copy all that crap over ?. It's a choice most computer users should make. For most it would be an intlegent choice as to which is the best option. I';ve seen PCs users takes days even a week to sort a new system out.