OT: Coldest UK temperature for ten years....

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite.

IIRC a few weeks ago we both predicted it was going to be cold...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

global cooling due to no air travel less car usage etc

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Nah! La Niña.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

el camino

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Can occur when there is a La Nina event in the pacific, which started late last year.

Reply to
Andrew

Fire up that Mustang and get driving Jim.

Reply to
Andrew

It's always cold in the Scottish Highlands !!

Andrew

yea baby

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

so tiz

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

I don't do foreign names.

Reply to
jon

-17? Almost tropical...

Jeff Layman

What we want is a nice re-activated volcano in the lake district, we could tap it for energy.

Reply to
jon

Weren't they playing with geothermal energy up in the NE a few years ago ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Many seem to have dabbled, but no headline news yet.

Reply to
jon

yup. its also v cold N america

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it made remote economic sense it would have been done years ago. waiting for government subsidies

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I see on today's lunchtime weather forecast that later in the week they expect high pressure to develop over the north North Sea, accompanied by a drop in wind strength and for it to get even colder. Do we have enough OCGT capacity to cope, I wonder.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Sellafield ?. Plenty of useful decaying heat there.

Reply to
Andrew

I think the danger is that you end up - like Iceland - providing it to everyone at very low prices. And we all know that just isn't how we like to do things in England.

Reply to
Jethro_uk