OT: Coldest UK temperature for ten years....

It's thought to be the unstated reason why 75% (possibly 5000?) of the GHCN's network of thermometers have been taken off the data supply, leaving only those that support the narrative of 'global warming'.

Reply to
Spike

Oh dear not a vortex....but not shedding.

Reply to
jon

This is just a lie on a lie. Numerous studies, including ones with a 'sceptical' origin, have shown that rurally sited thermometers show warming, and it's not as if there isn't considerable effort in siting and bias correction to account for urban heat islands. It is of course easy to find individual thermometers that show you any trend you want by cherry picking localities - but aggregate lots of data and the message is consistent.

As for 75% (possibly 10,000) GHCN thermometers being offline? Another obvious and simplistic lie. For a start GHCN contains data from over 100k stations, not the 14k that is implied. Active daily readings are received from over 20k stations. The data can be reviewed and inspected so the implication that sites are removed for 'unstated' reasons is rhetoric. And GHCN is just one line of evidence for global warming - we have satellite measurements, observation of melting glaciers, sea level rise, simple physics. In fact one study looked at over 170 diffrent surrogates for temperature - things like coral growth, isotopic composition of water - guess what? Confirmed the trends.

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

I suggest you go to te root research and re=thgen read what I siad carefully.

Its not just rural siting, its that the same thermometer is in use in te same way.

And it hasn't been 'normalised'

Or changed from '#average' to 'halfway between daytime high and night time low'

Yuss ffolks. One man with a portable Dyson hairdrier can create a 'record temperature' in a town near you...

Teh raw satellite record shows bugger all warming going on.

I think you should check your facts agian

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And Paul says his gas boiler is (was) broke, so he is heating by electric !

Reply to
Andrew

But there's this

'Detection of non-climatic biases in land surface temperature records by comparing climatic data and their model simulations'

Nicola Scafetta, Climate Dynamics, 17 January 2021

From the Abstract: "Finally, we compare land and sea surface temperature data versus their CMIP5 simulations and find that 25?45% of the 1 °C land warming from 1940?1960 to 2000?2020 could be due to non-climatic biases. By merging the sea surface temperature record (assumed to be correct) and an adjusted land temperature record based on the model prediction, the global warming during the same period is found to be 15?25% lower than reported. The corrected warming is compatible with that shown by the satellite UAH MSU v6.0 low troposphere global temperature record since 1979. Implications for climate model evaluation and future global warming estimates are briefly addressed".

Reply to
Chris Hogg

"The Global Historical Climatology Network Daily database, GHCN-D, contains meteorological measurements from over 90,000 stations across the globe. The *majority* of station records contain *precipitation*

*data* *only*, however other key variables including maximum temperature, minimum temperature, snowfall, cloudiness, wind speed and snow depth are available at many locations".

A 46-second animation of the Great Cull, covering 1914 - 2014:

This sort of thing makes interesting reading:

"The only conclusion can be that GHCN stations hundreds of miles away, and outside of the Arctic region, have been used for homogenisation. And here lies the problem ? is there any reason why we would expect climate in, for instance, Britain to follow the same pattern as Iceland or Greenland?

Certainly not according to the experts, as this paper ?AN ANALYSIS OF ICELANDIC CLIMATE SINCE THE NINETEENTH CENTURY? by Hanna, Jonsson & Box, published in 2004 showed.

They had this to say:

The warming was non-uniform in time, occurring in three distinct phases, approximately from 1880 to 1900, from 1925 to 1940, and from 1983 to

2001. Warming was most rapid in 1919?33, reaching the maximum temperatures over the entire record in 1939 and 1941. The northwestern European records surveyed do not indicate any significant trends over the 1901?30 standard period, whereas Icelandic trends are highly significant , somewhat indicating a decoupling between the Icelandic and northwestern European climates."
Reply to
Spike

The Beeb is now reporting -23°C in Braemar last night, the lowest February temperature since 1955!

Well, that's global warming for you :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Well I did sort expect it - La Niña and all that - had to order another £800 of oil.

Hope that lasts till spring

Its f****ng cold

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

FTFY

Reply to
RJH

Quite. I should have put it between /sarc's

Of course, it's not as bad as 1947, or even 1962 (yet!). Climate is always changing.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

No, it's fixed :-)

It's running right now, as I type.

Across the country, temperatures range from 0C to -33C tonight, -7C in Newfoundland (Gulf Stream). For me, it will be around -20C or so, pretty normal for this time of year. The track record for me this winter is "warmer than normal" by quite a bit. I get the impression only a portion of the Vortex has got me.

Sometimes the Arctic region is warmer than the Prairies. Iqaluit is -18C or -19C or so right now. Not nearly as cold as those CBC articles.

I usually expect two days of -26C here, for the winter to be normal, and the best time for such days was two or three weeks ago.

The climate is warming up, because new regions are opening to tourism in the Arctic. And some of the native peoples are using large motor boats to go to fishing camps in the summer, in their shirt sleeves. They can't necessarily gather traditional foods because of the change in ice conditions.

But in the winter, they'll still be back on Skidoos. As long as the areas they sled, hold together. Part of the reason for this activity, is food from the outside world is quite expensive, and if you had any ordinary sort of job, you couldn't afford to eat. This would be food that comes in by plane.

They fixed the train line up to Hudsons bay, so those people might have their connection back to civilization again. We have lots of hard cases, places getting fuel by barge once a year, and so on. Not everyone sits in a warm warm room like me right now :-)

The people in Fort Chip, the ones that got the huge solar array, even though the latitude doesn't make sense for it, those people are freezing their asses off :-) Minus 37C last night. I hope those panels can take -37C without cracking. There would have been a good many wood fires last night and pot belly stoves. The chief wasn't standing around for promo pictures last night.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Doesn't really matter, does it? You'll be long gone before it really effects you. Same as everyone else on here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That is not for Little Englanders. It's in Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News