Should washing machine hoses be replaced every ten years?

I was contemplating what the results would be if one or both hoses failed while I was away. They ~look~ okay, but I can only see a part of them. The rest is behind the w/m.
MM

No big deal in my case, its in the laundry with concrete block walls and a concrete slab floor with a floor drain. It'd just go down the drain.

I haven't had one fail in 40 years and that is with the one washing machine. Same with the dishwasher.
Some do turn them off when going away for more than overnight.
On 06/10/2015 08:16, Rod Speed wrote:

+1.
Probably more sensible to turn water off at main stop-cock. There are devices that you put in the main feed and will detect a significant leak and shut off after a certain volume.
Here is an "electronic" one but ISTR there are simpler mechanical systems.
http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/water-hero-wireless-leak-detection-system.html
I'm a big fan of utility rooms with floor drains, sadly not common here.
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 08:02:16 +0100, MM wrote:

Some years ago I noticed that the pressure rating dropped rapidly with temperature. Not a problem on indirect HW, but a combi feed would rise close to mains pressure when shut off, so if the hose is full of hot water...
About 15 years ago I installed a Miele - the hose was rated above any mains pressure at 90 deg. C.
Hoses are cheap, but I'm always wary of a new one being worse than the original one. My last machine, an AEG, was OK for 13 years, so hoses were good then.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 06/10/15 09:24, PeterC wrote:

I asked a plumber I know if he's seen any old appliance hoses look bad (perished) after 10+ years. No was the answer.
I suspect these days, the hose will outlive the machine mechanics.
The main thing to check is if they've been damaged (kinked, cut etc).
On 06/10/2015 11:04, Tim Watts wrote:

Agreed.
These days they tend to have a PVC cladding, which eliminates Ozone and UV attack on the rubber (not that they usually see much light). And of course machines have been cold fill only for a long time now. I think the only failure I have seen was at the cheap and nasty coupling, where one of the "nuts" pinged out one thread a few weeks after (someone else) fitted it.
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 11:58:23 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

The main failure point is the rubber washers.
NT

Agreed, but usually only when they are disturbed.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

+1. 10p each at my local DIY store.
I replace them as a matter of course when I move house and take the machine with me.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

Well, my 10-year-old Hotpoint has both hot and cold hoses. It works fine, though, even if the hot water is only tepid. Just has to heat more itself, I assume.
MM

I did have one hose start to leak.
IIRC it was at the end of the hose - there was a metal bit crimped to the hose or something where it joined onto the screwy bit.
Only a slow leak though
--
Chris French

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:43:28 +0100, Chris French

Exactly like mine, in fact!

Yeah, but when you're away on holiday...?
MM
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 05:58:15 +0100, MM wrote:

The stop-cock is OFF.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 09/10/2015 09:27, PeterC wrote:

MM's is allways off.
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:27:12 +0100, PeterC

And central heating in winter? As frost protection?
MM
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 08:01:49 +0100, MM wrote:

The combi is on and has limited water in it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Dunno what that means.
MM
On 11/10/2015 08:07, MM wrote:

Google it.
On 09/10/2015 05:58, MM wrote:

Turn the water off. Put bars on the windows and doors.
Get a big roll of Aldi tin foil and put it round you head in case of radiation from The Sun.
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 09:54:51 +0100, The Todal wrote:

They can't hear you scream in space.