OT: Car insurance

If you have a supermarket loyalty card and don't use it for months you will be offered larger and larger discounts in an attempt to attract you back as a new customer. I'm just waiting for a book of 25% discount vouchers (on £60 spends). If I was a loyal customer I wouldn't be offered these discounts.

Reply to
alan

Actually you do! Try it and see. Cereal disloyalty is rewarded.

We swap between Tesco, Sainsbury, ASDA and Morrisons in approximate rotation and I can assure you that prodigal son returning is greeted with lots more discount and double points vouchers. We also follow petrol discounts buying the qualifying amount for 5p/10p off per litre.

We can do a direct comparison as my brother-in-law always shops at the same huge Tescos (which is very near where he lives).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Be very careful with that though; I have first-hand experience of a number of companies (I'll name and shame the AA in this example) quoting a high pr ice for applications made with a cashback referer compared with going direc t without. So I'd always recommend double-checking with a different browser (or making sure you clear cookies etc) before committing.

As a long time cashback user (£1200 cashback over four years or so) this worries me if it starts to become a trend.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Checking with one browser and buying with another is the sensible way to do it.

It's not so easy to compare suppliers when you are not on the Internet

Reply to
bert

No sure if they use cookies to track you down (so different PC should trick it). I had a feeling last time I tried it that it was your IP address that they use...

Reply to
JoeJoe

But it makes a mockery of this government's promise to bring the energy companies to heel over their ridiculous and incomprehensible tariffs.

Another of my pet hates is that Halifax offer two very similarly named accounts (my mum has the wrong one - I am working on her about this). They are called "Ripoff Customer" and "Customer Ripoff" they have interest rates of 1.70% and 0.10% respectively. Being very cunning marketeers they spell "Ripoff" as "Reward". They all exploit the elderly mercilessly by preying on their inertia and fear of change.

Santander 123 is hard to beat at the moment with 3% on upto £20k.

Basically the rule is if you don't swap or at least threaten to do so you don't get. Same applies to broadband contracts and mobile phones it is amazing what the "retention team" will do after you ask for your MAC. (BT excepted)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well e.on have shown what happens with interference..

they have reduced the number of tariffs as required so now the cheaper one for the elderly has gone.

Yes, I have just opened another one to get the fee refunded.

Reply to
dennis

As predicted

The reduction in the number of tariffs was to help the stupid who couldn't work out the best offer for themselves. As the energy companies are still going to want the same profit margin some of the expensive most expensive tariffs will become cheaper but _ALL_ of the existing cheaper tariffs will cost more.

It only politicians who think that everyone's bills will drop to a level of the existing cheapest tariffs

Reply to
alan

I think you may have missed my (main) point. This being that cashback is in creasingly becoming something of a scam for variable priced commodities suc h as insurance because the quote you are given is often inflated by the sam e amount as the cashback being offered - or in some cases more!

Caveat emptor!

Reply to
Mathew Newton

They use cookies. A custom URL is sometimes also used but this is more to provide a customised landing page e.g. 'Acme welcomes Quidco customers'.

You don't need to switch browsers though - cookies can be manually cleared or, more conveniently, wiped with something like the 'Remove cookies for site' plugin in Firefox.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

On Saturday 05 October 2013 09:54 Mathew Newton wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The easiest way IME is to use Chrome and open an "Inconito window" which is fairly free of the user's main context. Reopen the URL there.

I use this for testing if the "public" can see a photo I posted on, say, Google Picasaweb as it will not be logged in as me.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bit ironic that the man who was part of the government which introduced ridiculously generous FITs which all push up the cost of energy is now playing the white knight and talking of freezing prices for 2 years.

Reply to
bert

You'll soon spot that if you've checked the price with a comparison site, and directly with the company, before you go through TopCashBack to buy.

Only on £3000 or more. And you have to pay a monthly fee which reduces the AER/APR.

And Santander is one of the worst for customer service.

Reply to
Mark

Personally I don't care. I'd just like to save time by not 'having' to keep checking for cheaper tariffs.

Reply to
Mark

We used to play off Tesco vs Sainsburys. We did all our shopping at one for a while and then got sent loads of vouchers by the other. We'd then swap and wait for the vouchers from the other one. The repeat.

However they don't do it anymore. It's been years since we shopped at Tescos and nothing received.

Reply to
Mark

But you get a % of your direct debits credited back to the account in addition to the interest. The % depends on what the direct debit is paying and comes, in our case, to much more than the monthly fee.

They're much better than they were.

If you can't match their minimum balance requirements then Nationwides Fex Direct is probably a better bet 5% on upto £2500 first twelve months. Less suitable for pensioners unless they have a technical help.

ISTR You have to pay in at least £500 pcm (ie state pension) and pay out two (or more) direct debits poll tax and utility bills. You get either

2% or 3% cashback on those which easily nulls out the £2 fee.

It is certainly a much better place to put modest life savings in than some poxy bank "savings account" getting about half that interest!

They are no worse than any of the other high street banks. I have had much worse problems dealing with Barclays, NatWest and Halifax. YMMV

Reply to
Martin Brown

Still works. You definitely get more and better vouchers by being disloyal and then returning after a few weeks. You do have to put in an occasional appearance and spend a weekly shop's worth.

Yes they do - as do Morrisons slightly. Sainsburys is worth it for us whenever they do a 10p/L fuel deal irrespective of other considerations.

Reply to
Martin Brown