OT: Car insurance

On 03/10/2013 22:25, bert wrote:

But it makes a mockery of this government's promise to bring the energy companies to heel over their ridiculous and incomprehensible tariffs.
Another of my pet hates is that Halifax offer two very similarly named accounts (my mum has the wrong one - I am working on her about this). They are called "Ripoff Customer" and "Customer Ripoff" they have interest rates of 1.70% and 0.10% respectively. Being very cunning marketeers they spell "Ripoff" as "Reward". They all exploit the elderly mercilessly by preying on their inertia and fear of change.
Santander 123 is hard to beat at the moment with 3% on upto £20k.
Basically the rule is if you don't swap or at least threaten to do so you don't get. Same applies to broadband contracts and mobile phones it is amazing what the "retention team" will do after you ask for your MAC. (BT excepted)
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 04/10/2013 08:04, Martin Brown wrote:

Well e.on have shown what happens with interference..
they have reduced the number of tariffs as required so now the cheaper one for the elderly has gone.

Yes, I have just opened another one to get the fee refunded.

On 04/10/2013 08:25, dennis@home wrote:

As predicted
The reduction in the number of tariffs was to help the stupid who couldn't work out the best offer for themselves. As the energy companies are still going to want the same profit margin some of the expensive most expensive tariffs will become cheaper but _ALL_ of the existing cheaper tariffs will cost more.
It only politicians who think that everyone's bills will drop to a level of the existing cheapest tariffs
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

Bit ironic that the man who was part of the government which introduced ridiculously generous FITs which all push up the cost of energy is now playing the white knight and talking of freezing prices for 2 years.
--
bert

Personally I don't care. I'd just like to save time by not 'having' to keep checking for cheaper tariffs.
--
(\__/) M.
On 07/10/2013 09:40, Mark wrote:

There are sites that will email you when a cheaper tariff becomes available, you don't even need to DIY.
On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 08:04:54 +0100, Martin Brown

Only on £3000 or more. And you have to pay a monthly fee which reduces the AER/APR.
And Santander is one of the worst for customer service.

--
(\__/) M.
On 07/10/2013 09:39 Mark wrote:

But you get a % of your direct debits credited back to the account in addition to the interest. The % depends on what the direct debit is paying and comes, in our case, to much more than the monthly fee.

They're much better than they were.

On 07/10/2013 10:04, F wrote:

If you can't match their minimum balance requirements then Nationwides Fex Direct is probably a better bet 5% on upto £2500 first twelve months. Less suitable for pensioners unless they have a technical help.
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/landingpages/FlexDirect.htm

ISTR You have to pay in at least £500 pcm (ie state pension) and pay out two (or more) direct debits poll tax and utility bills. You get either 2% or 3% cashback on those which easily nulls out the £2 fee.
It is certainly a much better place to put modest life savings in than some poxy bank "savings account" getting about half that interest!

They are no worse than any of the other high street banks. I have had much worse problems dealing with Barclays, NatWest and Halifax. YMMV
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I used to have a Nationwide flexaccount but closed it because they made so many mistakes. I closed my Santander account because I was fed up with the frequent T&C changes and they made a real hash of my bank account tranfer (but so did First Direct).

I haven't done the maths but I am not convinced this cashback would cover the fees for me.

All my savings are in my offset mortgage.

I don't use a "high street" bank.
--
(\__/) M.
On 07/10/2013 10:04, F wrote:

The 123 account seems too good to be true. Beats the hell out of most savings accounts
On 28/09/2013 19:23, Local hero wrote:

Provided the competitive quote is from a reputable company I *always* swap insurers if I have been forced to do the legwork of finding a cheaper alternative. I tell them that they are welcome to bid for my business again next year. Serial disloyalty is rewarded so that is exactly what they get! I apply the same strategy to supermarkets.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 02/10/2013 10:13, Martin Brown wrote:

Wouldn't that be for cereal disloyalty at supermarkets?
--
Rod

On 02/10/2013 19:00, polygonum wrote:

Lol!
I don't think supermarkets operate in quite the same way. After all, you don't buy groceries just once a year, and get charged a higher price than new customers when you go back for the next load.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 02/10/2013 19:39, Roger Mills wrote:

But the big supermarkets con millions into believing that they are charging the lowest price
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On 02/10/2013 20:08, alan wrote:

That's probably true. But they all do it. So how do you decide which one(s) to patronise (or not)? I still don't see a direct parallel with car insurance.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 02/10/2013 21:20, Roger Mills wrote:

If you have a supermarket loyalty card and don't use it for months you will be offered larger and larger discounts in an attempt to attract you back as a new customer. I'm just waiting for a book of 25% discount vouchers (on £60 spends). If I was a loyal customer I wouldn't be offered these discounts.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

We used to play off Tesco vs Sainsburys. We did all our shopping at one for a while and then got sent loads of vouchers by the other. We'd then swap and wait for the vouchers from the other one. The repeat.
However they don't do it anymore. It's been years since we shopped at Tescos and nothing received.
--
(\__/) M.
On 07/10/2013 09:43, Mark wrote:

Still works. You definitely get more and better vouchers by being disloyal and then returning after a few weeks. You do have to put in an occasional appearance and spend a weekly shop's worth.

Yes they do - as do Morrisons slightly. Sainsburys is worth it for us whenever they do a 10p/L fuel deal irrespective of other considerations.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Can't you read? I have stated that I haven't received ANYTHING from Tescos.
--
(\__/) M.