OT: Car dash camera

In message , Tim Watts writes

On the other hand, the truck driver could simply have eased very slightly off the gas, and allowed the caravan driver to move to the inside lane. [Please don't tell me that it costs millions of pounds each time a truck driver has to slow down, and then accelerate. I expect that this accident cost him and his employer a hell of a lot more than 0.5 pence-worth acceleration.]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

What about the one on ARW's second video? He came past the lorry at speed, with a traffic island in the way and oncoming traffic.

I don't notice any significant loss of acceleration when towing a 1400kg box trailer. I suspect it comes down to choosing a tow car that has good reserves of power.

As with many two vehicle accidents, if either party had acted differently, it wouldn't have happened.

Reply to
Nightjar

Oh I totally agree - the lorry driver was a jerkoff of the highest order. But given the situation, the caravan should not have attempted to pull over.

Reply to
Tim Watts

[snip]

Which Aug 2014

Allan

Difficult to get really close when screens today tend to slope so much, if the lens were touching the screen at the top there would still be a gap at the bottom. A wide agle view makes a lens hood impracticable.

Reply to
DJC

Well, you'd think.

Many years ago, I was overtaken but a Jaguar pulling a caravan in the outside lane. I'd dropped my brother off at Uni, so this is somewhere south of Manchester on the M6.

If I was doing around 95, go figure what the Jag was doing.

A few miles later the traffic stopped. This was pre mobile phone days, and the radio could only say "there's been an accident" (no shit Sherlock, as ambulances and police scream past in the hard shoulder).

About 30 minutes later, we all crawled through the hard shoulder the police had left open. Past a Jag on it's offside (so you could see the underside) with the beginnings of a split along the chassis, where the towbar had started to force it's way into the car.

There was very little activity at the scene, with the ambulancemen just sitting around. It didn't look good ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk