frdige freezer problem

We have a five year old Beko CDA660F fridge freezer and it appears to have developed a fault. It stopped working for a while today and after I cleared the drainage tube and tinkered about a bit it has started again. The thermostat appears to be working as turning this up or down does bring on or off the compressor. i suspect the control unit may be faulty and see I can get a replacement for about £25. before doing so is there any way I can check to make sure it is the control unit and not the thermostat or compressor that is faulty? Thank you

The drainage tube is only a means of dealing with condensation.
Is the back wall of the interior getting cold? Are the black tubes on the back hot, warm, cold? Does the motor run continuously?
A lot of fridgest hese days have a cover over the back I notice. Certainly mine does, so finding a place to feel the tubes is not as easy.
I'd suggest if its a frost free one that one makes doubly sure the evaporator holes and tubes are not blocked, and then try it and see if stuff gets cold. the proof of the pudding so to speak. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"DerbyBorn" < snipped-for-privacy@Nearhome.com> wrote in message
Thanks to all; it now appears to be running normally. I think that the problem may have arisen during the defrost cycle when my wife found water lying in the collection channel and condensation on the front of the freezer drawers. I cleared the drainage tube, pulled the fridge/freezer out and cleaned the rear coils (they were not dusty), switched it off and left it for a while. After pushing back and switching on it hiccupped (running noise started and then stopped) for a while and then settled down. I know how to change the thermostat and control unit but obviously do not want to spend money on one if it is the other that is at fault. When a frost free combi is on does it stop while the defrost cycle is operating and would that then cause a slight rise in temperature? Thanks again.

?The hiccup can be when the compressor tries to start when the part of the sytem is still under pressure from a previous run. The compressor tries to start but cannot get up to speed against the head of pressure and trips. Best to leave them for 5mins before attempting a re-start.
Likewise on those with an automatic defrost cycle, a timer will stop the compressor (usually every 8 hours) and start a heater to melt the ice for 5 mins. These usually have a fan and a very compact chiller coil.
On Sunday, 26 April 2015 09:19:19 UTC+1, Stewart wrote:

that's normal.
NT
On Saturday, 25 April 2015 22:31:16 UTC+1, Stewart wrote:

be

for

ol

need more info really See http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Fridge
NT
On 25/04/2015 22:31, Stewart wrote:

I think this is a question for the UK White Goods forum:
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forumsphpbb3/fridge-freezer-forum/
It's been very helpful to me in the past!