Fitting a gauge in a dash

I have a dash on a boat, in centre of dash is an oddment tray ... for sunglasses etc. This is the only free location to fit a 3'5" gauge.

The back of this tray slopes away ... so if I just drilled 3.5" hole the gauge display would not be able to be read.

Pic of dash is here ....

My initial though is that I need to make some form of wedge mount, that would make gauge face vertical ... see my sketch:
Alternative options ... Cut all the back off the oddment tray and fix a flat backplate to it ..... anyone know of a source of quality plastic (nylon ?) Machining off the back neatly maybe not be easy (unless you know of companies who do this sort of work)

Remove oddment tray entirely and fit a flat blanking plate (might be easiest for fitting) I guess I could manufacture out of ally sheet ... would need to have some good finish applied (maybe carbon effect foil?)

Suggestions? anybody know of a place that makes prototypes / one off's

Reply to
rick

Sketch indicates the oddments tray clips in from the front of the dash. If so I think I'd remove it and fit a flat panel held by brass or stainless counter sunk raised head machine screws 'n bolts. Whose holes in the dash would be covered by the flange of the tray should it ever be refitted.

What to make the panel from? Ali, maybe. Does this boat ever get to exposed to salt water? Ali and salt water don't get on... 3 or 4 mm self coloured acrylic sheet, off cut from a sign maker?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

rick expressed precisely :

Would a nylon rectangle, as used as used for cutting and carving food work? They are white, so may need spraying to match. The other two instruments match the angle of the dash, why might this need to have a different angle?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

What size is the hole if you remove the tray?

A DIN car radio blanking panel are readily available if the correct size.

Single height DIN is approx 50mm x 180mm (hole size so blanking plate is larger) Double height DIN is approx 100mm x 180mm (hole size so blanking plate is larger)

Random Examples (single)

double

alan_m

Have a look at the various companies that supply bits for kit cars. Mounting pods for instruments are common. Hopefully one which could be adapted to your purpose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Find somebody who can 3D print what you want? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

for sexy carbon fibre sheet

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That would work if I machine it up them have it wet transfer dipped with a nice finish.

Reply to
rick

You are right that it slots in from the front after a lot of thought, replacing with a flat panel is going to be easier ..... Boat is used in saltwater.

My thoughts were black nylon sheet ... possibly have it wet transfer dipped to look like carbon

Keeping original panel would have given me the nice logos ... but too difficult I think.

Know anywhere I can get a suitable plastic from .... something that will machine well.

Reply to
rick

Never used Carbon sheet, is it easy enough to machine ? .... with DIY tools

Reply to
rick

Have a dig about on eBay, plenty of suppliers of arcylic sheet (aka perspex) cut to size, sawn or polished edges, clear, tinted, coloured.

See if there is a local sign maker or similar who would let you have an off cut?

Looks like some will make (CNC) whatever you want, probably for a price.

Acrylic machines well with sharp tools and taking it easy to avoid it melting. Will polish up, again be gentle if using a powered tool.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Youtube tutorial

alan_m

Watch out for the carbon dust - wear a mask/Its nasty, but mostly its just fibreglass with attitude.metal working tools are fine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That video should be in te wiki.

Can't agree more on permagrit hand tools as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK ... plan seems to be remove existing oddment tray .... replace with a flat panel of Acrylic (Makrolon, Perspex or similar)

Ideally if I can get it CNC cut will be quicker (welcome names of anyone who does this)

Then I will get it Wet Transfer printed with a Carbon fibre patten coating, then clear coated on top. Fit new panel with 'through fittings' of stainless raised csk bolts.

Reply to
rick

OK .... using acrylic and getting it coated seems easier

Reply to
rick