FAQ: Which Dash cam

For those periodic questions on "Which Dash Cam would you recommend", there is a review in Oct 2017 Which? Magazine. Here's the results table (pdf):

(the complete article isn't available as pdf at the moment)

Allan (no connection with Which other than as a reader)

Reply to
Allan

Hmmm... Which vs. Techmoan

Tough choice.

Not.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

No reference to the brilliant (but Chinese speaking) "Ddpai M6 Plus"

I've had one for a year or so now with 128GB card and can highly recommend it.

www.GymRatZ.co.uk

We've been very pleased with our Transcend DrivePro 220. The only frustration is that it doesn't seem to work with 64 GB cards, only a maximum of 32 GB (of the same make and model of card), so it overwrites recordings after about 3 hours. There are times when it would be nice to have the whole of a long journey on camera, in case of an event near the beginning of the journey which we can't copy off the camera until several hours later when we get to our destination. Otherwise it's good: it produces pin-sharp still frames (for reading number plates) as long as there's at least bright overcast daylight, and it can "see" reasonably clearly in the dark when headlights (and maybe street lights) are the only light - not good enough to read number plates of oncoming cars but good enough to see who did what as long as the other car doesn't drive off and therefore there's no dispute about its identity.

Reply to
NY

Adrian Caspersz explained on 27/09/2017 :

I bought one which was tested by that site a couple or more years ago. Very pleased with it. It fits flat up to the screen, none of this bracket and sucker business, just a camera on the side of it, which rotates up or down to set the view and it hides behind the visor. Along with a similarly discreet, rear view cam feeding video into the front facing one. All quite discreet, nothing much to see, fit and forget. It does surprising good audio recordings, plus G-Force. Cost me around £30 on Ebay, but there is no specific name for it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Their table puts the only 2 I know off that do NOT have built in screens quite down the list.

I have the Blackvue and it works well (though wifi is clunky). The other screenless one is the Roadhawk.

It can be quite difficult to place these so as not to obstruct the windscreen and the Blackvue "tube" version works quite well in this regard. Usually possible to tuck it behind or to the left of the mirror.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Roger Mills writes

I was not really meaning this literally - as already mentioned my camera says "Hello DDPai" occasionally depending on how it's being used and then I think it tells me when the GPS has locked on. Both are in a very, very Chinese lady's voice. The instructions leave something to be desired, but there is a moderately active M6Plus English speaking forum.

I usually have it set so that it records continuously, dropping into time-lapse when not moving. When the house next door was burgled but the car was facing the wrong direction, I pulled off the time-lapse to see who had walked up the street at the relevant time. (This was quite difficult and involved finding a more suitable player than VLC). I printed out 2 pictures of a dubious looking character, but SWMBO was able to recognise him as the local priest.

I don't think one should regard these things as just accident recorders. I specifically bought this one with GPS after my daughter came in from being taxied back from Manchester in the early hours and the driver had found himself being threatened with prosecution after being stopped by the crew foreman on a section of closed motorway. Only after a huge hassle and two way radio contacts was it admitted that the vehicle tasked with marking the diversion had been away from its post while the driver went for tea, pee or something. Had it gone to court, and it apparently nearly did, video linked to GPS evidence might have saved the driver's licence.

Reply to
Bill