Case for a dash cam on your car

From Russia, but the videos are entertaining...

See the videos at the link in the story:

HeyBub

Per HeyBub:

I just googled "DashCam" and was surprised at the breadth of offerings.

Made me start thinking about getting one.

For me, two "Must Haves" are:

- Rotating storage. Maybe using a 65-gig SD card, taking five-minute clips, and - once the card is full - deleting the oldest clip to make room for the latest

- Turns on/off when ignition key is turned on/off.... so storage is preserved in the event of a crash.

Does anybody have experience?

Maybe a forum devoted to dash cams?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Did you noticed that the driver of the car seemed a lot more concerned about the condition of his car than the condition of the truck driver.

I wonder how I would react. I'd like to think I'd check out the other driver first.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Per DerbyDad03:

Maybe it's easier to see on the cam footage, but it seemed to me like the truck driver was in pretty good shape... and the car driver was probably still in a sort of WTF state... Maybe also in disbelief at how little damage has resulted from a head-on with an 18-wheeler. A split second and he might have been dead.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

/02/russian-dash-cams/

Can you imagine if that happened in America? Panic stations!

Reply to
harry

The driver is standing up in the cab. almost looks like a slo-mo video compared to a couple Americans who just crashed.

I'm on a busy state road in the burbs. speed limit is 45, but most folks do 60. I was out in the yard when the neighbor was coming up the road and turning left into his driveway. He came to a complete stop to allow some traffic by, and this kid rear-ended him. The trunk deck flew 40' in the air.

As soon as the airbags deflated this 18yr old kid jumps out of his [his dad's?] car, runs up to the driver of the other car, who is just getting out, and shouts "Look what you did to my car, asshole!".

By the time the police got there he was a little more reasonable- but he got a ticket or two anyway.

at least if the Russian car driver had been angry, I could sympathize.

Jim [here's 13 more minutes of entertainment from Russian highways

]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Since this is not the first link to Russian dash cam accident videos in this group, it should have read: "From Russia, and the videos are as entertaining as ever"

Which one was the case, the meteorite or the truck? I mean, sh*t happens everywhere, perhaps it would be useful to have it recorded anyway, regardless of how good your local legal system is. I mean, this is a wealth or real world data that car/truck manufacturers could put to a great use, I'm sure. Not sure how would they collect it other than Youtube though.

But science for the next 100 years (until the next meteor of this size falls and someone is lucky to catch it on camera) will be indebted to the Russian legal system that "rarely favors first-hand accounts of traffic collisions" for the awesome videos of the extremely rare and important event.

Reply to
DA

Me, too. I'd want to ensure he was good and hurt.

The big problem is that a lawyer will use your evidence to "prove" to a jury of nitwits any crash involving another motorist was your fault. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

This is Russia, where life is cheap and it is literally every man for himself.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Someone on t he ABC or NBC news said a lot of people in Russia had dashcams. Just a passing phrase and no reason given.

Reply to
micky

If you're going to get a dashcam, you should get a flashing light and a uniform, make some police stops, and get some candid video of how the other people react. Great for laughs at parties.

That's easy enough.

Reply to
micky

These two things are pretty much what defines it as a dash cam. Don't think you need 65 (64) gig chip but it does help to have a higher class one like a

  1. Most record continuously but some have g sensors. There are even GPS ones that also record location.

This guy on youtube reviews some of them. It a good place to start. He is British but all the cameras should be available in the US (assuming you are even in the US)

Cliff H

Fraud, fake accidents, fake police stops are all allegedly rampant there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

# # Can you imagine if that happened in America? # Panic stations!

Just goes to show what results occur when an idiot like you "imagines"

Reply to
Attila Iskander

The news report I watched followed up the story on the meteorite with, more or less...

"For those of you who are wondering why there are so many dash cam videos of the meteorite, it is because of the vast number of hit and run accidents in Russia as well as insurance fraud. It's so bad that the insurance companies won't pay claims unless the owner has proof that the accident was truly an accident."

I'm glad they explained it because all day I had been wondering why there were so many videos of a once in a lifetime event.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Then everyone will laugh. The more laughter, the better the world will be.

BTW, in the first video of the meteorite, if its explosion was 25 times Hiroshima, how come the guy with the dashcam wasn't blown to bits or at least had his car knocked over, after he took the pictures?

He was farther away? The square root of 25 is 5. He was 5 times as far away as bomb radius at Hiroshima?

Reply to
micky

I'm glad too. Maybe the insurance fraud is just God's way of making sure the meteorite will be photographed.

Reply to
micky

"HeyBub" wrote in news:wOSdnU1qKcovh7_MnZ2dnUVZ_q- snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

They said on the news that "everyone" in Russia has a dash cam. Seems like a throw back to the days everyone had CB radios.

Reply to
ktos

a, but the videos are entertaining...

The religious freaks would be out predicting doom. There would be a mad scramble to get into the doomsday shelters.

Reply to
harry

Well if it happened over America it would be used as an excuse to up military spending.

A Hollywood epic would be made. Oh shit, it already has............ Who was it saved the world? Arnie was it?

Reply to
harry