OT Can people not do mental arithmetic or use a calculator any more?

Not what most would call a special offer.

Then you'd shop at Lidl. Idiot.

If doing a weekly shop, buying fresh at its sell by date will result in more waste. Unless you like rotten vegetables, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'm curious since you work away from home a lot. You always take home made sandwiches, etc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

At one time, pubs in Scotland closed on Sunday. But you could get in your car and drive to an hotel just outside your town and drink legally. I'm sure that made sense to someone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Common round the wholesale food markets. Like Covent Garden and Billingsgate. They supplied shops for their opening times, so worked all night.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Remember working on a CH5 Saturday morning kid's prog. Our call time about

4 am. They had car parking, and saw people still queueing to get into west ends clubs on my way to work.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Just received my £40 Tesco Delivery. Last delivery was 25th May, so 32 days ago. £15 of goods not available, so probably about £14 a week. No booze.

Just me to feed.

Meat products up 11% over the year. Other products just about the same.

No special offers included.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

I remember that we, as a class of maths undergraduate, some 49 years ago, upseting our physics lecturer (for some reason we did physics as well) because we refused the offer of slide rules and decamped to the maths statistics labs where there was a room full of HP85s....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

You could also get drink with a meal on Sunday. I remember occasionally going to a hotel somewhere near Dean Village in Edinburgh, where they offered dinner for a shilling, to encourage people to buy booze.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Was that just a Scotch egg, or a substantial meal?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I had a DIY Sinclair Scientific that used RPN. Did any others? Generally Clive (before the Sir) was a bit of a maverick.

He used the customer as a test facility. I put this calculator together, and the LED array had an internal short. So I sent it back, and Sinclair sent me a working one. I still have it (from around 1974) and it still works, but the LEDs eat batteries. You couldn't make a solar version of it.

Reply to
Joe

About the same sort of time, in physics we spent quite some time on the sliding wire potentiometer, how it could be set up to get zero output current from a high impedance standard cell, then again with a voltage source, to measure the voltage source with the standard cell as reference. The important lesson was that the standard cell was only standard when no current was drawn from it.

We asked why a valve (in those days) voltmeter couldn't be used. OK, the concept of internal impedance is a useful one to learn, but there are plenty of other examples of more relevance than the sliding wire potentiometer, which belongs to Faraday's age.

Reply to
Joe

49 years ago is 1973. The HP-85 series launched in 1980.
Reply to
Robin

My dad was provided with a Hewlett Packard calculator (HP-45, I think) by work in the mid 1970s. That used RPN. It was the first calculator I'd ever used, so I got to think in RPN, and bought myself a later HP model for use at school. When I eventually started to use a conventional calculator in the

1980s, I had to un-learn RPN and learn to think in the order number, operator, number, equals. I wonder whether I could go back to using an RPN calculator nowadays...

I hadn't realised that Sinclair made an RPN calculator.

Any calculator with LED display rather than LCD (the same as for watches) will eat batteries.

Reply to
NY

:)

Reply to
Richard

You probably could get a decent meal for a shilling when weekly earnings were probably less than a tenner.

Were Joe Lyons (Jolyon) cafes still open in those days ?

Reply to
Andrew

I wouldn't include eating out in my food bill. Not that I do much of either ATM.

Reply to
Max Demian

Mashed potatoes, meatloaf and some green veg, often. Decent size serving.

The gang from Sandy Bell's would often gravitate there on Sunday, so there was always good music.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Probably.

I don't know; I don't remember pre-decimal currency. Not quite that, um, as senior as SV.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Warm enough for a bird to get her kit off?

Reply to
ARW

While I do that with the potatoes I have with a steak or chops or sausages, I prefer roast potatoes with other meals, peeled, dipped in olive oil and roasted in the digital air fryer with the meat.

Reply to
hgt