OT Can people not do mental arithmetic or use a calculator any more?

Odd for a hospital not to have a PT system? My local one has buses driving round the perimeter road.

But if unable to use PT, did they check for transport - perhaps from volunteers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Just curious. Does anyone have to exist on a weekly shop costing less than

30 quid?
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'd hope most would remember what a trolley with their basics would cost from last time. At least roughly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You needed a slide rule or log tables to do a running total in a shop?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I do my main shop Friday morming. Everything usually fully stocked for the weekend, but not too busy.

Went to the self checkout with my trolley. Assistant tries to send me to the (only) manned one which I'd already seen had a big queue. And because of the screens, very awkward to load stuff after the assistant has scanned it. PITA to use. Or rather pain in the back.

Self checkout does have some big enough for a trolley which I'm happy to wait for. But they have a new area of self checkouts I've rarely seen open.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Don't worry. When Rees-Mogg gets his way and we go back to lsd it will be sooooooooooo much easier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In the 60s, there were no tuition fees at uni. And I'd like proof if you mean the education system would pay their living costs though uni if they promised to be a teacher.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

How do you know it isn't just running off battery?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Because it didn't work in the dark, it needed a moment or two in the light before it would work.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Since when was the population high on LSD? I thought LSD had always been illegal under the controlled substances act......

Reply to
SH

Roughly, less than the contactless limit.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Be pointless going back to £sd. In a year or two the pound will be worth so little that all coins smaller than £1 will be scrapped.

Course, they might revalue the £ first, so we have one new £ being worth £100 old.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Pure solars don't have batteries, and don't work at all in dim light. Why would manufacturers lie about this?

Reply to
Max Demian

And Willard Price, Anthony Buckeridge and the like. Alistair MacLean soon after.

Typically, during the school holidays, I'd take out 10 books a week from the local library -I'm not sure how I fitted them in, as I also spent a lot of time doing other things, but somehow I did.

Reply to
SteveW

Yes. Infants and Juniors is a single (primary) school where they went. The other school near us (where I went) has separate infants and juniors, at opposite ends of a shared playing field, but run by a single head these days. Back then, in juniors, we were measuring heights and distances using a (plastic) theodolite and basic trigonometry.

Reply to
SteveW

Oddly enough, they went up to 16x.

Reply to
SteveW

Useful for pre-metric engineers.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes they do when they have to cut up a cake into

37 equal pieces to hand to all the grandkids.

But were able to use much more accurate sighting of the sun coming thru a hole in a stone on the solstice etc instead.

Reply to
hgt

Interesting. We only went up to 12x.

Reply to